Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

OT, but does anyone watch Catfish?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 22 Replies

Just started watching it. It blows my mind. How do people not realize they are talking to a fake person? Does anyone watch it? Have you ever experienced anything like this, on facebook, or here on CM? I had heard of a catfish case here on CM, pretty scary!

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christy619
by Christy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I havent seen the show but I've seen the movie. Creeeepy. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I dont have Mtv (thats the channel it is on right?) but I have heard all about it. 

.Holly.
by Holly on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I missed it. I want to watch this! It creeps me out what people will do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting .Holly.:

I warn you, it's pretty addicting! It's really crazy. I do feel bad for some of the people, they have issues.

littlemascara
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

never heard of it

.Holly.
by Holly on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I had someone here on CM do this to me. I was friends with her for awhile and her sons were supposedly musicians. She knew my son was also, so we bonded through that.

Her sons had made it pretty big, they were on tour and stuff. It was exciting to hear about what was happening with them. She'd show pics and their music to me on youtube etc.  She also showed random every day pics of them.  I really had no reason not to believe her. 

After some time, I saw her sons were touring here in Houston. I was on the Warehouse Live website, because we like to go to concerts there on occasion.  I saw her sons band pics on the site and that they were playing here!! I was like woah, cool! Then I saw their names were not the names she had told me her sons names were. I felt like the biggest idiot of all time. It all hit me.

I addressed her here on CM about it and a few days later her profile was gone. All that time, lies! Unreal. So, sometimes people may be talking to "fake" people and are fooled.  I definitely have a harder time becoming more trusting here or anywhere for that matter, when it comes to online. I know most people aren't like this, but it still sucks when you trust someone and this happens.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

Quoting .Holly.:

I warn you, it's pretty addicting! It's really crazy. I do feel bad for some of the people, they have issues.

.Holly.
by Holly on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Btw there was a Dateline or 20/20 on recently that was about this subject and had different cases.  Also, at the end of the show it had a lady here from CM...an editor I believe. They showed her and her family and the CM office on TV. I was like cool, CM!!! haha Anyway, it was how she sometimes lies to her kids to make things easier or something like that. :\ Did anyone see this?

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I watch it and it's pretty werid u never know who your really talking to online. The TV catfish is based on the movied Catfish. The guy Nev was talking to a girl online and his brother and friends decide to flim it and it turn out to be a lonely house wife who he became really good friends with. He decide to make the show catfish to help others out. I meet my husband on line and thankfully he didn't end up being a creepy or some lady.

.Holly.
by Holly on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Yep, that was a crazy story.

Quoting LoriAnn87:

I watch it and it's pretty werid u never know who your really talking to online. The TV catfish is based on the movied Catfish. The guy Nev was talking to a girl online and his brother and friends decide to flim it and it turn out to be a lonely house wife who he became really good friends with. He decide to make the show catfish to help others out. I meet my husband on line and thankfully he didn't end up being a creepy or some lady.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Quoting .Holly.:

Yep, that was a crazy story.

Quoting LoriAnn87:

yep and I watched the movie and it was crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)