Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

I threw away all my makeup & I'm starting over... where do I start?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 12 Replies

Okay, to put a long story short I had quite a bit of makeup (95% of it was drugstore stuff) but I never even wore any of it. I'm really trying to find a more grown-up, put-together look, so I decided to start wearing makeup again. But when I went to start putting it on again, none of it was right. The texture was off, it went on my skin funny, and some of it made me break out (and it didn't when I bought it). That was when I learned that some makeup expires... and I've had all this stuff for YEARS.

So, I decided to just throw away everything and try a whole new skin care and makeup routine. But now I don't even know where to start.

I know that how I care for my face is more important than my makeup, but the only thing I put on it right now is Oxy pads and then a moisturizer (but those were expired too, and besides it seems like the moisturizer just makes my nose more oily and my forehead more dry). I would love to try a more updated, "grown-up" skin care routine, especially now that I'm in my mid-twenties and women in my family tend to get wrinkles, brown spots, etc pretty early. For now, I have pretty good skin. I don't break out often and when I do it's just one pimple. I have combination skin - all normal to dry except my nose & chin (not even the whole t-zone), which gets pretty oily at times.

So, when it comes down to it, I would love to know what your list of "skin care basics" is. For that matter, I need to know what to buy (astringent? moisturizer? etc) when to use it (in the morning? before makeup? at night?) and, well, how.

As far as makeup, I would like to know what's necessary and what's not (I'll post a picture, you can be honest). Also, how do I pick a foundation and concealer that are the right color for me (I think I need them because I get a lot of redness on/around my nose)? Do I just have to waste money buying a bunch and trying them out? Or is there a better way? And how do I apply it and "set it" so I don't feel/look like there's an inch of makeup on my face? I'd like to look "normal" but still put-together.

Sorry, I know this is a lot... I do my nails and I like wearing pretty clothes, but when it comes down to it, I know NOTHING about makeup or hair. Feel free to give me ANY advice you see fit. Thanks so much!

This is the most recent picture of me (I admit, it was my birthday and I was trashed):

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemascara
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I suggest going to a place like Ulta and getting a makeover... you can tell them your budget, and they can help you find a good foundation and concealer in your price rannge for your skin type.  Some of the redness you experience may very well be from Oxy pads.  They are mainly rubbing alcohol in addition to acne ingedients and very drying.  There are some pretty good skin care routines in the drugstore that do help with acne if you still get it, but also protect skin from dryness (Olay, Neutrogena).  You shoud look for a PH balanced facial wash that is safe to remove eye makeup, a good night cream, eye cream, a day time moisturier that is at least 15 SPF and use that EVERY day.  You might look at BB creams for foundation, they are forgiving in color because they are a more sheer coverage, which makes them easy to use and feel good if yo have not been wearing foundation every day.  They also work as a primer, skin care, SPF... a kind of all in 1 product.  Find a good mascara that suits you, you may or may not need waterproof depending on what you do,I do not like waterproof, it'shard to remove.  Look for an eyshadow palette in neutrals to start with, and like a deep brown liner.  You'll want a blush that looks like your own skin when you blush. 

Some brands I like are Benefit, Tarte, Smashbox, Makeup Forever, Urban Decay.

Again, getting a makeover can help a lot and they can explain how to apply, tips, suggest products... the advantage at Ulta is although the person may represent one brand, they often pull from many brands.  Also, you CAN return products if you keep reciepts and packaging if you don't like them, have a reaction, etc. 

I think skin care is SO important.  With the right skin care you have good skin and don't have to apply heavy pan cake makeup to hide blemishes, redness, etc.  Plus you are preventing sun damage and wrinkles. 

Good luck!!

ProudMom13075
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Hello,

I really think it depends on what type of makeup you are looking for.  I did the same thing and found I really liked Mary Kay products.  I went to a free makeover to try the products and I found they did not irritate my sensitive skin and I really liked how my face felt natural. 

I think you just need to experiment with different products until you find the one for your skin that feels the best.

Good luck.

Tera Bradfordwelcome

ToYnyc
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

i would try Olay products for skin care, its just as good as the expensive stuff and they have it for all skin types. I started using anti aging products such as eye gels and anti aging moisturizers when i was 25 and til this day people say i look 25 and i'm 37. Stores like M.A.C and Sephora allow you to sample the products before you buy and the sales women are very helpful in helping decide. As for the hair, you should blow it out straight maybe trim it a little. Definately experiment with colors, you're still young and can get away with it.

AimSnapHolz
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Thank you ladies so much!

littlemascara
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I agree, I've been vigilant about skin care since my teens.  I have very few small lines and I am almost 43.  I go without makeup all the time, but I never skip my skin care... even when I'm sick!

Quoting ToYnyc:

i would try Olay products for skin care, its just as good as the expensive stuff and they have it for all skin types. I started using anti aging products such as eye gels and anti aging moisturizers when i was 25 and til this day people say i look 25 and i'm 37. Stores like M.A.C and Sephora allow you to sample the products before you buy and the sales women are very helpful in helping decide. As for the hair, you should blow it out straight maybe trim it a little. Definately experiment with colors, you're still young and can get away with it.

January is Cervical Cancer Awareness Month!

0Glitter0
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I would start off small so it won't get piled up again, just buy the basics

.Holly.
by Holly on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I agree with the skincare comments! I feel it should take top priority at any age. The younger you start a good regimen the better.

ToYnyc
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM

BTW  i used Clinique Skin care when i was in my 20's, they sold it at Macy's and it came in a kit customized for me, i had the cleanser, astringent and moisturizer the bottles are numbered 1, 2 and 3 so i knew which order to use them. Its a good starter kit if you dont have a skin care regimen. This is  also sold at Sephora

Zadidoll
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Quoting AimSnapHolz:

I know that how I care for my face is more important than my makeup, but the only thing I put on it right now is Oxy pads and then a moisturizer (but those were expired too, and besides it seems like the moisturizer just makes my nose more oily and my forehead more dry). I would love to try a more updated, "grown-up" skin care routine, especially now that I'm in my mid-twenties and women in my family tend to get wrinkles, brown spots, etc pretty early. For now, I have pretty good skin. I don't break out often and when I do it's just one pimple. I have combination skin - all normal to dry except my nose & chin (not even the whole t-zone), which gets pretty oily at times.

So, when it comes down to it, I would love to know what your list of "skin care basics" is. For that matter, I need to know what to buy (astringent? moisturizer? etc) when to use it (in the morning? before makeup? at night?) and, well, how.

As far as makeup, I would like to know what's necessary and what's not (I'll post a picture, you can be honest). Also, how do I pick a foundation and concealer that are the right color for me (I think I need them because I get a lot of redness on/around my nose)? Do I just have to waste money buying a bunch and trying them out? Or is there a better way? And how do I apply it and "set it" so I don't feel/look like there's an inch of makeup on my face? I'd like to look "normal" but still put-together.

Sorry, I know this is a lot... I do my nails and I like wearing pretty clothes, but when it comes down to it, I know NOTHING about makeup or hair. Feel free to give me ANY advice you see fit. Thanks so much!

Do you want drugstore brands, prestige brands or designer brands? Do you have any sensitivies to natural ingredients (almonds, olives, etc)? Do you have any senstivities to silicone products or bismuth? Do you want have anything that you want to conceal? Sheer foundation, medium coverage or full coverage? Do you know your skin undertone (are you more yellow or red)? (I don't use warm, cool or neutral because that's wrong and in the real makeup industry that's not used at all.) There is just so much that people won't ask you but they'll throw out their recommendations without taking into consideration YOUR skin type.

There are a few basics I will share with you.

1. You need a skin regiment that fits YOUR skin type. EVERYONE needs a good cleanser whether or not you use makeup on a daily basis you need to WASH your face every day to remove the dead skin cells. You're going to need an exfoliating product as well - be VERY careful in using products made with apricots pits because that's too harsh for the face. Depending on your skin you may need a toner - not everyone needs a toner. Of course a moisturizer. Even those with oily skin needs a good moisturizer and if possible one with SPF.

2. Primers. Everyone needs a primer because primers fill in large pores and smooths out the skin but depending on the foundation you use you need to use the appropriate primer otherwise the wrong primer to the wrong foundation can cause the foundation to cake.

3. Foundation. Again, depending on what kind of coverage you want you can go with a tinted moisturizer (which in the US has been rebranded as BB creams but US BB creams are not real BB creams), mineral makeup, liquid foundations, cream foundations or cake foundations. There is a plethora of foundations out there BUT you need to be aware of your undertones to choose the right foundation. In the makeup industry people fall under one of two categories - RED or YELLOW (olive falls under yellow) however what is pushed onto the general public is warm, cool or neutral when those categories are typically wrong and why women who are color matched in stores typically find the makeup to oxide on them orange or red.

I love going into Sephora and Ulta or even Macy's and getting them to match me because they always wrong and match me to a product that contains too much red and too dark (I have yellow undertones). They always try to match my face versus matching me to my neck and chest because they always forget to bring the makeup down from the face, over the chin and blend it down into the neck. They also tend to forget to take into consideration how the product oxidies over the course of the day. Luckily I know what my undertone is (yellow) so I can make sure the products I use are yellow based but most Western brands typically are red based so I personally stick to Make Up For Ever, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics and other brands that have a yellow base for foundations. Covergirl, L'Oreal, Maybelline all tend to be red based for me.

Most women are not one specific color and as such most products on the market won't work. In the industry MUA mix colors to get the perfect match for their clients. I could go on and on about this but suffice it to say picking a foundation can be tricky if you don't know what your undertones are in the first place and if you don't match to your neck and chest. NEVER match your FACE because if you have any blotches on your skin or something like Roseacea then you're going to have excess red in your skin that may not be accurate.

4. Concealers are fantastic if you have larger flaw you want to hide HOWEVER not everyone needs a concealer. If you have a lot of red around your nose you may not need concealer but rather a foundation with a yellow undertone to correct the red. Concealer typically tends to be very thick and heavy so you have to be careful with it.

5. Setting powders. Depending on the look your going to for along with your skin type you may or may not need a setting powder. There are so many on the market but right now silica (not to be confused with silicone) are really popular. NYX makes one for $10 (which I use) and of course it goes up in price depending on the brand.

6. Mascara. There are so many on the market and what works for one person may not work for another. I HATE drugstore mascaras EXCEPT Rimmel London. Sometimes I had the formulation of one particular brand but love the brush while I love the formulation of a different brand but hate their brush. It absolutely is subjective to the individual person on their own perference. Some people love mascaras with fibers, others hate it. Some people love waterproof, others don't.

7. Eyeliner. Like mascara there are so many on the market. There are gel liners, liquid liners, crayon type, hard kohl type, marker types. There are liners with long brushes, some with short brushes, some with curved brushes. Then of course there is a plethora of colors ranging from white to black to blue, pink, purple, green and everything in between.

8. Lipstick, liquid lipstick, lipgloss, lip tints, lip balms and lip liners. While there are many eyeliners on the market there are more choices for lip products than there are mascaras and eyeliners combined. What you want to use will depend on how often you want to apply and the consistency of the product you like. From there there is a plethora of colors again ranging from clear to white to black and every color under the rainbow. Of course there is also the matter of do you want a sheer product or a more opaque product?

My advice, sign up for a beauty subscription like Ipsy or Birchbox or Glossybox to try various products without having to shell out a whole bunch of money. Ipsy and Birchbox are both $10 a month and Glossybox is $15. There is also Beauty Army for $12 which allows you to pick the samples you want to try that month. Now you have to understand one thing - these are not services that you pick and choose (except Beauty Army) the products you want to try so you may get (for example) a blue eyeliner when someone else gets a black eyeliner or you might want a pink lip gloss but got a red one instead. If it's possible find a real makeup artist in your area - yes it'll cost you - to help you determine exactly what you need. Remember the people are various beauty counters are going to try to sell you products that you may not need and most times will even pick the wrong products for you because they want to sell. Finding a real MUA who isn't selling products but rather teaching you is better because they can help you learn your undertone, your skin type and show you what looks good on YOU versus trying to part you with your money.

blondiemomof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:36 AM

For skincare I just have a very simple face wash and moisturizer (and retin-a but that's a rx) I find that toner (astringent) is a useless step for me. For foundation I would suggest getting some samples from a department store, you are going to need to wear your foundation outside to check the color anyways. If you have to get a drugstore foundation, make sure you shop somewhere that has a super friendly return policy so you don't waste money during your search. Also I would make sure to get every an item for every step of the makeup process even if you dont plan on using it all all the time (like bronzer eyeliner lipliner blush etc) because you are going to come across situations where you would like to be more made up and you are going to wish you had it all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN