Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Curly hair catastrophy -.-

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:07 AM
  • 11 Replies

my hole life i have had curly curly CURLY hair! i tryed everything until i learned to DO NOT brush my hair. It frizzis and destroys curls along with splitting ends. I also thought if i just kept my hair short it would go away but instead with no weight of curls on my head, my hair would just poof! So when it got longer, it weighed down. well when im in the shower i use my fingers and stream it through my hair WITHOUT useing shampoo, most shampoos strip and dry hair. But only most. Try to use naturaul products like mousse anything light and even what works to is braiding your hair at night and sleeping with it in! Any other tips post!

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chilandra
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Curly hair is not bad - it needs to be managed like anything else in life.  Have had the same thing with mine.  Now I do not brush - I comb it.  Shampoo is needed to keep the oil or dryness down.  Washing your scalp is more important than just using streams of water.

Might also see a hairstylist to have your hair layered.  This is a process that will help eliminate poof that occurs when its super curly.  That is the layer underneath will be trimmed back to keep it from ballooning out.

To tame a curly mess I sometimes put water on my fingers and comb the offending ends into submission.

ae86mommy
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My sister got a book called the Curly Girl method and it teaches you what products to use for your curl type and other helpful things :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemascara
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Carol's Daughter makes GREAT products for curls, from cleansing, conditioning, styling.  Great stuff for straight hair too, but I know curly girls love her stuff and I do for sure!

RobinChristine
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:38 AM

my solution  on 3 different occasions was the GI Jane look. Now I wear it longer and whenever I wash I blow dry and straighten

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I have had curly hair my whole life also, and I have learned a few tricks over the years.

1. At the most, I only wash my hair every other day.

2. CONDITION, CONDITION AND CONDITION some more.  I use twice as much conditioner as I do shampoo.  When I rince it out in the shower, I also comb it out with a wide tooth comb.

3. NO MOUSE!!!  Get a curl cream and use hair serum.

4. If you can, let it dry naturally, and if you must use a diffuser.

5. If you slept on your curls and they look a little flat, you can give them that bouce back by just spraying it with a little water in the morning.

Here, you can get a look at how curly my hair is.

CafeMom Tickers
rosebud727
by Rose on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

I have had curly hair my whole life also, and I have learned a few tricks over the years.

1. At the most, I only wash my hair every other day.

2. CONDITION, CONDITION AND CONDITION some more.  I use twice as much conditioner as I do shampoo.  When I rince it out in the shower, I also comb it out with a wide tooth comb.

3. NO MOUSE!!!  Get a curl cream and use hair serum.

4. If you can, let it dry naturally, and if you must use a diffuser.

5. If you slept on your curls and they look a little flat, you can give them that bouce back by just spraying it with a little water in the morning.

Here, you can get a look at how curly my hair is.

Beautiful curls that many pay big $$$ for. I work with a lady whose hair is the same. Love, love, love it!

do11face
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I could use some tips, too.

My 4 year old daughter has long curly hair and I'm not sure what to do with it.
I've tried so many products and nothing has really helped yet to combat her frizz.

I've done the whole just using conditioner in the bath but it seems to leave her hair lifeless.
i'm at a loss. Her hair is so pretty but so frizzy.

do11face
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Quoting littlemascara:

Carol's Daughter makes GREAT products for curls, from cleansing, conditioning, styling.  Great stuff for straight hair too, but I know curly girls love her stuff and I do for sure!

I tried that on my daughter's hair. (a leave in conditioner) and it left a sticky film on her hair. It was awful and so expensive,too! ugh. : /

littlemascara
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

with that line, a LITTLE goes a LONG way.  Did you return it? What product was it?

Quoting do11face:

Quoting littlemascara:

I tried that on my daughter's hair. (a leave in conditioner) and it left a sticky film on her hair. It was awful and so expensive,too! ugh. : /

do11face
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Yes, I didn't over use. I can't remember now what the specific name was. I believe it was the hair milk. It was a leave in conditioner, though, I do remember that. I gave it to friend who has a daughter with mixed hair texture because maybe it would work better for her. She told me the same thing, it left her hair with a sticky film, too. So, IDK.

Quoting littlemascara:

with that line, a LITTLE goes a LONG way.  Did you return it? What product was it?

Quoting do11face:

Quoting littlemascara:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN