Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult Acne

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM
  • 16 Replies

I'm 25 & have had acne since I was a teen, like most.
It's gotten worse over time, as my breakouts were short & sweet in the last few years. Lately, my entire face is broken out and its never been that way, normally it's a bump or two on the chin.
It's so frustrating and I don't even want to leave the house.

I've considered seeing my Dr. for a prescription treatment, but was wondering if anyone has ever taken anything other than Accutane? Or is there anything other than?

I've done Oil Cleansing Method for 3 months and no difference.  I'm just desperate for clear skin!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Head to the doctor.

Our bodies change and hormones change every few years and this can cause breakouts.  Adult acne has a tendency to be tied to our hormones and our stress levels.  I've battled acne my whole life and it got bad again when I was in my mid-20's.  I ended up at the doctor and that was the way I was able to get it under control.  A lot of the OTC acne treatments are harsher because they are made for teenage skin so it was making my face worse.  I ended up doing the more is less approach and just started washing with Cetaphil and keeping everything simple, combines with the dermatologist's recommendations it cleared it up and has stayed clear. I was able to get off of prescription medications and just use La Roche Posay Effaclar K, which has kept my skin clear.

What I found recently that has been great too is using an olive oil cleanser (I use Kiss My Face olive oil bar soap) for my face.  It not only cleared up whatever I had, but it's left my skin so much smoother.

SourRoses
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM
BC pills cleared up my skin completely. I used to break out all the time. Big ones, small ones, all over my face. It was painful and embarrassing. Once I went on the pill, my face cleared up within a couple of weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlemascara
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Some people take antibiotics, but I'm not sure that's good for overall health. And for some people, hormonal BC works too. Isn't accutane still off the market?  I know there were severe limitations in RXing it and it did get pulled, but it might still be available. there are a lot of topical things, like retin-a, benzoclin.  Good luck, I think the dermo is a good place to start

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to get horrible acne, and cystic acne, in my 20s.  I never took anything for it, though I probably should have.

The only thing that seemed to help was drinking lots of water and staying away from greasy foods.

blondiemomof2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Try a topical before you use accutane. Retin -A worked wonders for me. The key is not to give up though, it got worse before it got better but then I had really nice skin.

MSmama_x3
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I'm not sure if it's off the market, but I know only certain dr's can write the prescription for it. Which is one reason I'd like to find something else! It's just that it is all I have ever heard about.

Quoting littlemascara:

Some people take antibiotics, but I'm not sure that's good for overall health. And for some people, hormonal BC works too. Isn't accutane still off the market?  I know there were severe limitations in RXing it and it did get pulled, but it might still be available. there are a lot of topical things, like retin-a, benzoclin.  Good luck, I think the dermo is a good place to start

MSmama_x3
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Thanks, I will try that!! It definitely hard not to give up.

Quoting blondiemomof2:

Try a topical before you use accutane. Retin -A worked wonders for me. The key is not to give up though, it got worse before it got better but then I had really nice skin.

littlemascara
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe the maker pulled it off the market for acne.  There were a LOT of lawsuits.  You also had to be on 2 forms of birth control, like the pill/condoms, IUD/condoms, etc and get a pregancy test every month.  My SIL was on it, and even with a tubal, she had to sign some serious waivers promising she used condoms because it causes horrible birth defects, in addition to terrible GI issues.  I would def consider topical stuff, retin a is great (and helps with lines, wrinkles, pores, etc) but you do have to be super good about using SPF because it will make you burn faster, and also can thin the skin so you should not wax areas where you use it.  But, see what tthe DR says, there might be something better suited to you.  Good luck!!

Quoting MSmama_x3:

I'm not sure if it's off the market, but I know only certain dr's can write the prescription for it. Which is one reason I'd like to find something else! It's just that it is all I have ever heard about.

Quoting littlemascara:

MsFit
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I used to have beautiful spotless skin and once I reached my 30s it's like I have one to 3 breakouts a week..and I never even got pimples not even as a teen. It can be frustrating and they tend to leave a brown spot behind which they never used to do :(

blondiemomof2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM

It will be worth it! :)

Quoting MSmama_x3:

Thanks, I will try that!! It definitely hard not to give up.

Quoting blondiemomof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)