Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Shopping rehab

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this
It's been 8 weeks since I've shopped. I've been shopping to deal with stress and shopping too much. Life has been hectic but I've managed without shopping. I'm very proud of myself latley. My aunt is my sponsor she has been a tremendous help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM

way to go

melodyhour
by Cara on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Congrats! 8 weeks is a big accomplishment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pixiemg1
by Amy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Congrats!!  

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Wow congrats!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Good for you!

Apr1l
by Katie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Good job! 8 wks is awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondiemomof2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Fantastic! You can always shop your current stash. You'd be surprised what you forget you have.

littlemascara
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Good job!!

littlemascara
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Quoting blondiemomof2:

Fantastic! You can always shop your current stash. You'd be surprised what you forget you have.

that is so true.  it's amazing how stuff accumulates and you sort of forget you ever even had it. 

littlemascara
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I think a lot of people find themselves doing retail therapy.  I have a friend who I met because I was her manager at Gap Kids eons ago.  Then she started working for Guerlain and since I was often there, I started working for her. :) Anyway, her marriage had hit a rocky spot and she soothed herself with shopping.  Which is even easier when you're spending 40 hours a week at Nordstrom to start with. They worked on their marriage and when she was feeling better, she was like my god... look at all this STUFF. It was really nice stuff, but still just tons of it.  So I helped her sell a lot on ebay (like she had really nice Chanel, Vuitton, etc handbags and stuff) and she used that to help pay for her oldest daughter's wedding. I have another friend still in this pattern, but her thing is getting loads of stuff at thrift stores, so she actually ends up with WAY more stuff because she'll buy like 8 handbags, 10 pairs of jeans, etc every few days because things are just a few dollars.  But 30 items that are $5 each adds up pretty fast, and there is no where to even put it, much less actually use it.  

I know I have done that too when things were not so smooth... and it feels really good to purge my closet and get rid of stuff I never wore, doesn't fit, etc and it's amazing how much stuff still had tags.  I just unloaded a lot on ebay (I was finally able to lose a lot of weight) and what didn't sell... some went to friends, and a lot went to a women's shelter that also helps women find jobs so they need clothes they can interview in, go to work in, etc.  Those women are starting over, sometimes with only the clothes on their back.  So they can use jeans and tees too.  It's nice to walk in my closet and like everything in it, wear what I have and not have stuff that just sort of fills me with regret. 

But the main thing is you are doing a great job.  How often were you shopping before?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)