Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Makeup colors and textures you should avoid

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:04 AM
  • 11 Replies

I saw this on yahoo.  do you agree, have anything to add, learned anything?

Makeup Forever Neon Pink 75Makeup Forever Neon Pink 75

In an ideal world there would be no rules when it comes to makeup. We could all wear anything our hearts desire and look fabulous while doing it, but that's just not reality. Just like there are colors that are universally unflattering, there are colors that don't work for most people. Sometimes I experiment with these colors and try to find ways to make them work, but some products I don't even mess with!

Eyes

I love bright pink eyeshadow. I think if it's applied correctly it can be really soft and pretty. But applied improperly it screams “ I've got a nasty eye infection” or “ I didn't take my allergy medicine today”.

Dust Sparkle from NYXDust Sparkle from NYXMost bright pinks will make you look like you have been crying for ten years straight. If you love pink, stick to softer pastel versions like Dust Sparkle from NYX Cosmetics ($4.50).

If you have blue eyes, avoid matching blue eyeshadow. The same rule goes for green eyes. Have you ever spotted a green couch in a room painted green? Nothing stands out.

Anyone who wore makeup in the 60's and 70's is cursing me right now, but to figure this out we need only take a look at a color wheel. To make eye color pop, you want to choose a color on the opposite side of the color wheel from your eye color.

LORAC GlamorousLORAC GlamorousBlue eyes? Colors in the red or orange family will work best for you. I do not recommend running out and buying red eyeshadow, but think about wearable colors. Bronzey browns, peach, burgundy and purples will be flattering.

This bronze color, Glamorous by LORAC ($19), will look gorgeous with those baby blues.

Green eyes basically look good in the same colors as blue eyes. Brown eyes basically look good in anything, but especially nice in the opposite colors that look good on blue and green-eyes. Wish you would have paid more attention in art class?

NARS Super Orgasm blushNARS Super Orgasm blush

Cheeks

If you are past your pre-teens, try to avoid glittery blush or bronzer. Trying a subtle shimmer will really reflect light and make skin look beautiful and dewy.

Blushes and bronzers with large pieces of glitter tend to sit quite unnaturally on the skin and really enhance flaws (large pores and wrinkles). Glitter loves to settle into fine lines and pores, neither of which most people want to bring attention to. Glitter can also be too shiny and make you look sweaty, especially in photos or on stage.

MAC Cosmetics Melba BlushMAC Cosmetics Melba BlushMatte blush and bronzer are the most flattering textures for all skin types. This soft coral matte blush, Melba, by MAC Cosmetics ($21) not only looks great on most skin colors, but also looks soft with no harsh shimmer.

Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Matte BronzerEstée Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Matte BronzerBronzer

Whether it's a bad spray tan or makeup, orange is just not a flattering skin tone for anyone.

With fair skin it's really easy to head down the path to Oompa Loompa Land. Many bronzers available have an orangey hue and can look extremely unnatural, especially on light skin tones.

Best bet, stick with bronzers that are yellow-based and matte like the Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Matte Bronzer ($32).

Frosty pale pink lipstickFrosty pale pink lipstickLip Color

There are many colors of lipstick and gloss that look bad on most people, but two stand out to me. The first one, frosty pink. Frosty, silvery pinks were big in the seventies and stayed alive up through the eighties. That is were they should stay, in the past. Frosty pink looks dated, and isn't very flattering.

The second color that should be avoided is dark brown lip liner and lipstick., especially on fair skin. Matte browns makes lips look small, prune-ish and severe. Not a look that anyone strives for. And don't even get me started on brown lip liner around nude lipstick...eeek!

If you want to sport that nude lip trend, pick a lip liner closest to the lipstick or gloss shade and blend, blend, blend! Try one of the long-lasting nude lip liners from Urban Decay ($19) and you'll thank me later.

Wet'n'Wild lip liner 666 - A makeup artist favorite, but if not blended, it could look disastrous.

Rules to good makeup

Dark colors make things look smaller, so avoid using dark colored products on areas of your face that you want to look larger or brighter.

For your face, stick to colors that mimic human skin tone. Yellow-based products tend to look the most natural.

Bright colors draw attention. If you have less than perfect lips, stick to neutral lip colors. If your under-eye is dark, don't wear red tones or bright purples. They will only enhance the darkness around your eyes.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/blogs/fashionate/makeup-colors-textures-avoid-183230229.html

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apr1l
by Katie on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I loathe frosty lipstick, but that's just me.

Apr1l
by Katie on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never avoid that makeup forever bright pink, I would totally use it.

Nursesummer
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM
So would I. I love that color. I do agree with blue eyes looking amazing with coppery shadow.

Quoting Apr1l:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ae86mommy
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I HATE frosty lipsticks. But that pink shadow is really pretty! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zadidoll
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting littlemascara:

saw this on yahoo.  do you agree, have anything to add, learned anything?

Absolutely DISAGREE.

Quote:

Makeup Forever Neon Pink 75Makeup Forever Neon Pink 75

In an ideal world there would be no rules when it comes to makeup. We could all wear anything our hearts desire and look fabulous while doing it, but that's just not reality. Just like there are colors that are universally unflattering, there are colors that don't work for most people. Sometimes I experiment with these colors and try to find ways to make them work, but some products I don't even mess with!

Keep in mind that MUFE is a PRO line and it was originally aimed at PROFESSIONALS for editioral, runway, movies/tv and print. The color is GORGEOUS but requires an experienced hand or someone who is expressive and not afraid to take risks. It also makes a GORGEOUS blush. A professional or experienced person don't just use shadows as eye shadows. I do agree it's NOT for everyone though but it's the same with ALL products.

Quote:

Eyes

I love bright pink eyeshadow. I think if it's applied correctly it can be really soft and pretty. But applied improperly it screams “ I've got a nasty eye infection” or “ I didn't take my allergy medicine today”.

Dust Sparkle from NYXDust Sparkle from NYXMost bright pinks will make you look like you have been crying for ten years straight. If you love pink, stick to softer pastel versions like Dust Sparkle from NYX Cosmetics ($4.50).

This color makes a fantastic HIGHLIGHTER on your cheeks or along the brow bone. This color was not meant as an all over shadow and the article makes it seems as if that's what it's for.

Quote:

If you have blue eyes, avoid matching blue eyeshadow. The same rule goes for green eyes. Have you ever spotted a green couch in a room painted green? Nothing stands out.

NOT entirely true and depends on the shade of blue and the person's eyes. A smokey blue eye with someone who has blue eyes looks hot.

Quote:

Anyone who wore makeup in the 60's and 70's is cursing me right now, but to figure this out we need only take a look at a color wheel. To make eye color pop, you want to choose a color on the opposite side of the color wheel from your eye color.

Some times the complementary color is not flattering on a person. I have brown eyes and the opposite color for my shade of brown is a gray-blue which doesn't flatter me because of my skin undertone. You also have to take into consideration your hair color, skin undertone and ethnicity.

Quote:
LORAC GlamorousLORAC GlamorousBlue eyes? Colors in the red or orange family will work best for you. I do not recommend running out and buying red eyeshadow, but think about wearable colors. Bronzey browns, peach, burgundy and purples will be flattering.

I would recommend a red shadow because you can mix it into other colors to create your own. If you have a blue shadow that's TOO blue for you then mix some red to create a purple. If you have a purple that has too much blue for your eyes add a bit of red to make it more flattering. Mix some red into a brown for a more rust color.

Quote:

Green eyes basically look good in the same colors as blue eyes. Brown eyes basically look good in anything, but especially nice in the opposite colors that look good on blue and green-eyes. Wish you would have paid more attention in art class?
Actually some shades of green eyes don't look good in yellows but again it depends on the individual person's eye color, skin color and hair color. Who ever wrote this article just makes broad general statements and tries to apply to everyone when you can't do that in reality.

Quote:

Cheeks

If you are past your pre-teens, try to avoid glittery blush or bronzer. Trying a subtle shimmer will really reflect light and make skin look beautiful and dewy.

Blushes and bronzers with large pieces of glitter tend to sit quite unnaturally on the skin and really enhance flaws (large pores and wrinkles). Glitter loves to settle into fine lines and pores, neither of which most people want to bring attention to. Glitter can also be too shiny and make you look sweaty, especially in photos or on stage.

Again, another generalized statement which pisses me off. NARS Super Orgasm is flattering on those who are not pre-teens. That comment the article writer made was SO INSULTING. While it is a blush it wasn't intended to be used on every skin tone, skin type, age or as an all over cheek blush. Because it has a shimmer this makes a great highlight on the top of the cheek bones and coupled with a matte blush it's so HOT.

Quote:

MAC Cosmetics Melba BlushMAC Cosmetics Melba BlushMatte blush and bronzer are the most flattering textures for all skin types. This soft coral matte blush, Melba, by MAC Cosmetics ($21) not only looks great on most skin colors, but also looks soft with no harsh shimmer.

Yeah, no it's not. The article writer comes off as a MAC snob with the claim that this is flattering on all skin types when it's not. In fact, for some using a matte blush ages them or looks really dry. Mattes are nice, I use some matte blushes but it has to be balanced with other products to avoid a flat or heavy look. Last thing you want is for your cheeks to look flat.

Quote:

Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Matte BronzerEstée Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Matte BronzerBronzer

Whether it's a bad spray tan or makeup, orange is just not a flattering skin tone for anyone.

With fair skin it's really easy to head down the path to Oompa Loompa Land. Many bronzers available have an orangey hue and can look extremely unnatural, especially on light skin tones.

Best bet, stick with bronzers that are yellow-based and matte like the Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Matte Bronzer ($32).

Bronzers... personally I'm not fond of bronzers because it's not flattering on most people. I DO agree that orange is not flattering on most people but the major problem people have with bronzers is that they're using one that's TOO DARK. I know some Youtube Gurus say to use a bronzer up to six times darker than your skin color and that's WRONG. Unless you're a drag queen who needs to contour the face to make it more feminine or a performer on stage use a bronzer that's no more than two shades darker. If you plan on using it as a contour then use a matte versus one with a shimmer.

Quote:

Frosty pale pink lipstickFrosty pale pink lipstickLip Color

There are many colors of lipstick and gloss that look bad on most people, but two stand out to me. The first one, frosty pink. Frosty, silvery pinks were big in the seventies and stayed alive up through the eighties. That is were they should stay, in the past. Frosty pink looks dated, and isn't very flattering.

The second color that should be avoided is dark brown lip liner and lipstick., especially on fair skin. Matte browns makes lips look small, prune-ish and severe. Not a look that anyone strives for. And don't even get me started on brown lip liner around nude lipstick...eeek!

If you want to sport that nude lip trend, pick a lip liner closest to the lipstick or gloss shade and blend, blend, blend! Try one of the long-lasting nude lip liners from Urban Decay ($19) and you'll thank me later.

Actually I agree with this to a point. Frosted lipsticks are dated but in the right hands the person can make the lipstick sing. Use it in conjuction with a matte lipstick right on the center of the lips and blend out for a gorgeous look.

The brown lip liner with a nude lipstick... it's called blending. Personally it drives me crazy when I see people who don't blend their gloss/lipstick/lipstain/lip tint/etc into their lip liner so the liner sticks out. BLEND PEOPLE BLEND!

Quote:

Wet'n'Wild lip liner 666 - A makeup artist favorite, but if not blended, it could look disastrous.

I actually own that and love that but as I said above it's all about blending.

Quote:

Rules to good makeup

Dark colors make things look smaller, so avoid using dark colored products on areas of your face that you want to look larger or brighter.

For your face, stick to colors that mimic human skin tone. Yellow-based products tend to look the most natural.

Bright colors draw attention. If you have less than perfect lips, stick to neutral lip colors. If your under-eye is dark, don't wear red tones or bright purples. They will only enhance the darkness around your eyes.

Actually yellow-based products shouldn't be used by everyone. I know a few tv reporters who use yellow-based foundations when they have red undertones and unfortunately it makes them looks sick.

Also a rule of mine is to ignore WARM, COOL or NEUTRAL because no one is warm, cool or netural. You're either going to have a yellow undertone, a red undertone and for those who are "Snow Whites" a blue one (blue undertones is not recognized among product makers) but I know many women who are blue undertoned because both yellow and red look wrong on them.

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I bought this exact shade a few weeks ago, when I was inspired by a MAC lady's makeup. She was all bright pink and purple and it was AMAZING without being too over the top.

Quoting Apr1l:

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Quoting littlemascara:

I saw this on yahoo.  do you agree, have anything to add, learned anything?

Cheeks

AHAHA another product I have. OMG I fail this list.

momof3_dll
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I agree with the glittery blushes as something to avoid.  I do prefer matte bronzers to shimmery ones as well. 

mstrendygirl
by Irene on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I would have to disagree i have similar colors like that. i wouldnt wear the frosty lipstick im just not a fan of it and dont like how it looks on me. as for the other colors yes .

my4boys2002
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I can't do frosted lips but hot pink shadow is a love, I'm into neon eyes right now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)