Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Why on earth are bikinis so expensive?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 15 Replies

This has been bothering me for a few years now. I was on the VS website and found a bikini I loved, not paying attention to the price. I went to check out, and my total was $119! Seriously? There is less than a yard of material there people, why on earth do retailers think it's ok to charge that much money for scraps of material you only wear for 3 months a year? 

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsMimna
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

RIGHT !!!! There is hardly anything there and you don't wear it that often. But some of those are just way overpriced...and then there are those that decided its best to sell pieces separately ( which I do understand ) but to price each piece at $40-50 or more is insane !!!

Vinterland
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM

That annoys me too and also that they sell a lot of the tops and bottoms separately (the reason why is because when I've ordered them online, the top or bottoms would be sold out and I'd only have half of the bikini), I normally only buy them when they're on sale or clearance.

.Holly.
by Holly on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I just bought a couple from there. I always wait until they have free shipping or a certain amount off your order if you by x amount. I also love the fact they have separates. Works for me, I like to pick and choose and also my bottom half is small, but my top half a med. So the fit is so much nicer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I don't mind that they are separates, but $40 for the strappy bottoms? Seriously? $50 for the top, ok I get it I suppose because I spend that much on a bra but $40 for the bottom is utterly ridiculous.

Quoting .Holly.:

I just bought a couple from there. I always wait until they have free shipping or a certain amount off your order if you by x amount. I also love the fact they have separates. Works for me, I like to pick and choose and also my bottom half is small, but my top half a med. So the fit is so much nicer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Holly.
by Holly on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM
They have different prices. I think the bottoms on each one I got was around 28.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't mind that they are separates, but $40 for the strappy bottoms? Seriously? $50 for the top, ok I get it I suppose because I spend that much on a bra but $40 for the bottom is utterly ridiculous.

Quoting .Holly.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
The bottoms that match the top I wanted were $38 before tax. :-(

Quoting .Holly.:

They have different prices. I think the bottoms on each one I got was around 28.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting .Holly.:

.Holly.
by Holly on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Yeah, they have different prices depnding on the suit you want. Some bottoms are as low as 19 bucks. Then there is clearance which has really low prices. Just depends on what you want I suppose, but overall there is a variety in pricing which is good. I've been buying swimsuits from VS for years and always like them and the quality. :)

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

The bottoms that match the top I wanted were $38 before tax. :-(

Quoting .Holly.:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting .Holly.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemascara
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM

the thinking is there is more work in making them than say, a t shirt.  and the fabric costs more, usually better ones are lined, some have built in shapers and underwires, etc.  there's just nothing fun about bathing suit shopping! ;)

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I normally buy tops from Venus or VS bc they go by cup size. Then go get a solid color bottom from target for way less.
ae86mommy
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I usually just buy from Ross. Or the op separates from Walmart. I am not in a bikini often, it's not very warm here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)