Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

A question for my sistas!

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM
  • 6 Replies
I am currently transitioning from relaxed to natural. Anyone doing the same? Any helpful tips?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
thingz123
by Cheryl on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I am probably not a good person to ask, because my journey wasn't all that difficult, LOL.

I had used a really mild relaxer for years, so mild that, when I came out of the shower, you could see the curls in it. If I didn't blow dry it and straighten it, you wouldn't have thought there was any relaxing involved. Even when it was straightened, it wasn't bone straight and the ends would try to curl up of their own accord. . . .

Last summer, I cut a few inches of it off because the ends were kind of raggedy. I also got it cut into layers, which made the curls pop out nicely. I haven't blow dried it or straightened it since. I live in St. Louis, and the weather here went to 100 degrees or beyond a good part of last summer, so I had made up my mind I wasn't going to make myself hotter with the blow dryer or the ceramic iron. Looking back, that was a good thing, because I'd been wanting to go natural but hadn't been MOTIVATED to get into action, so to speak.

I've experimented with a few products. I transitioned to sulfate free shampoo-one I really like right now is Loreal Evercreme Intense Moisturizing Shampoo. I use the conditioner to go with it, but I actually use Suave Almond Butter and Shea conditioner on it first- I have lots of thick hair, and I need that stuff first in order to get everything slippery enough to detangle my hair. I do the Suave conditioner first and detangle, then I put some Evercreme conditioner on top of that and comb it out again. I let this sit on my head for a few minutes before I rinse it out in the shower-I do exfoliating, showering, etc., then I rinse it out.

Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner is key to making sure your hair gets really soft. The first shampoo I used last summer was  Suave Almond Butter and Shea shampoo (along with the conditioner), which has sulfates, then I switched to the Evercreme Intense Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. The Suave AB and S doesn't have sulfates, so I kept that, but I added the Evercreme Conditioner to the routine, which made my hair super soft. I could tell the difference immediately when I switched shampoos.

When I get out of the shower, I use Fructis Miracle Dry Oil spray onmy hair (it's a combo of avocado, shea and olive oil), which is a Godsend. It's not oily and goopy, but it really makes your hair soft and sets the stage for your hair accepting whatever styling stuff you put on it.

I like to use Fructis Finishing Paste after that-it's really a cream, not a paste, and it won't make your hair stiff. Lastly, I use a bit of Fructis Curl Shaping Spray Gel after that-it really defines your curls and isn't super crunchy, like a lot of gels. If you use the Finishing Paste and Curl Shaping Gel in conjunction with each other, your hair will be soft and it will be defined but it won't have that hard crunch you can get if you just use gel.

If you have any other questions, just lemme know. I usually wash mine every 4-5 days; I spritz water on it most days and apply the Finishing Paste and Curl Shaping Gel to refresh the curl patterns. I may spray it with just a bit of the Dry Miracle Oil on one or two of those days,-if you don't want to go overboard, you could just spray a bit in your hand, emulsify it (rub your hands together) and just move your hands through your hair. When I use the gel, I emulsify with that, too.

It will get curlier over time, especially if you had a fairly hard relaxer on it. You may have to do the "Big Chop" if you have lots of relaxed hair that needs to be transitioned; it depends upon how straight your hair is. I didn't chop off a huge amount of hair, and like I said, I could always see some natural curl, even when it had chemicals in it. Mine is curlier now, though.

I wanna see pics as you transition!!

Apr1l
by Katie on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

more natural products the better works for me.

ae86mommy
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have any advice, sorry :( but, I would love to see pics of your hair journey :) natural hair is so beautiful to me :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemascara
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!  I know many women have a lot of luck with Carol's Daughter. :)

Miss-B
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

This! I love LIV, too!!

Quoting littlemascara:

Good luck!  I know many women have a lot of luck with Carol's Daughter. :)

MamaSun08
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I did about 15 years ago! I wore a lot of braids throughout my journey, so I wouldn't hate the transitioning phase and give up. Worked well for me. Every time I took my braids out I would be a lot closer to my goal. Having great products is also very key!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)