Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Which is better? Nail advice and opinions.

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Which one would be better?

Options:

Solar Nails

Acrylic Nails

Pink & White

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 4

View Results

A friend of mine and I are going to get our nails done professionally. In my town there is a shop that does solar nails, acrylic, and pink & white. I haven't gotten my nails in a long while because #1 I'm a mom of a 2 year old #2 I'm a full-time college student and #3 I rarely have money. Right now I have the money to pamper myself a bit, plus in a few weeks I will be attending my Aunts wedding in Florida, and having a wedding of my own a few weeks after that in Hawaii, so I want to have my nails looking awesome for those occassions. I've heard from a few people that solar nails are better to get for parents with kids because they are less likely to chip, but I have also heard acrylic is better. Any ideas of what I should get?! You can include pictures of ideas if you would like as well. I love having options that I can tweak to make my own, and to fit my color schemes.

Jennifergay pride ribbon

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HisUsmcWifey
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I've never heard of solar nails. I do gel and acrylic nails. I love getting my nails done! Normally Gianna and I go every two weeks and it's around $35 with a tip for them to do my nails and to paint Gianna's. Here are some of the ways i've had my nails done...

New2011Mom1991
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Solar Nails are like this new thing now (apparently). They seem to be pretty cool, and very nice. A friend of mine just graduated from beauty school, and she never heard of solar nails either when I asked her opinion about them.
HisUsmcWifey
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

this is what I found when I looked them up:

First of all, Solar Nails ARE acrylic nails. The products used in their application are exactly the same. This is a term used by 'discount' salons to make you think that you are getting some new, and better type of nail. You are not. Generally, Solar Nail refers to the standard Pink & Whites (Forever French). Instead of using one color of acrylic, they will apply a white powder to form the extension, hence the name Pink & Whites.And P&W's have been around a long time now. They are nothing new.
Are they better than gel nails. Well, that depends on how you define 'better.'
When top of the line gel products are used, gel nails are non-yellowing, non-toxic, odorless, they look more natural, they are more flexible than acrylics, and less prone to cracking, breaking, and lifting, and they have a very high shine to them.

New2011Mom1991
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I've looked them up from different sites, and I have found a lot of different things. What you found was on like two of the pages I looked at, and i found a bunch of other pages that said the opossite. The one salon person who does them said they add glitter to a powder they use, but she didn't tell me what kind of power they use, if it was the basic "pink" powder they used, or something else. My big issue is because i see so many unreliable things online, I would like to actually get feedback from at least 1 person on here about if they got them, or they knew someone who got them done and how they liked them. I do appreciate you looking that up for me, because I bet that site was one i didnt check out before.
New2011Mom1991
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM

On btw I LOVE the pink tipped nail design. That is one thing I had in mind of getting done.

blondiemomof2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Some types of nails cannto be soaked off and need to be drilled off. Make sure you ask the nail tech lots of questions about wear durability and removal 

New2011Mom1991
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

When I go to the place to get my nails done I will. It didn't occur to me to even ask about it. I got the pink & white done before, and my friend has gotten acyrlics before, so we both know at least what it'll take to get them off.

Quoting blondiemomof2:

Some types of nails cannto be soaked off and need to be drilled off. Make sure you ask the nail tech lots of questions about wear durability and removal 

abra
by Abra on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
When I got manicures, I'd get solars. Sometimes they start with acrylics underneath to add length, but then the acrylics would get removed and you'd have solar manicures on your natural nails. They were durable and pretty, but depending on how fast your nails grow, you'll need to get fills every other week or so.

Quoting HisUsmcWifey:

this is what I found when I looked them up:

First of all, Solar Nails ARE acrylic nails. The products used in their application are exactly the same. This is a term used by 'discount' salons to make you think that you are getting some new, and better type of nail. You are not. Generally, Solar Nail refers to the standard Pink & Whites (Forever French). Instead of using one color of acrylic, they will apply a white powder to form the extension, hence the name Pink & Whites.And P&W's have been around a long time now. They are nothing new.
Are they better than gel nails. Well, that depends on how you define 'better.'
When top of the line gel products are used, gel nails are non-yellowing, non-toxic, odorless, they look more natural, they are more flexible than acrylics, and less prone to cracking, breaking, and lifting, and they have a very high shine to them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
If you can get ahold of pure acetone, you can take them off yourself, but it's a lot of work.

Quoting New2011Mom1991:

When I go to the place to get my nails done I will. It didn't occur to me to even ask about it. I got the pink & white done before, and my friend has gotten acyrlics before, so we both know at least what it'll take to get them off.

Quoting blondiemomof2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlemascara
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM

are they not ALL 3 acrylic?  Pink & white is just 2colors of acrylic.  There is a lot of upkeep, and removing them just destroys your nails.  I'll never do acrylics again.  If you want a long lasting manicure, have you looked at Sally Hansen Salon Effects?  They last about 10 days on me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN