I know, I know. You try to be good, use your sunblock, wear your glamorous beach hat, but still. Long gorgeous summer days at the beach or by the pool can end up with your skin being toasted. Hopefully not too toasted, but all the same, toasted. Luckily, there are a lot of really great products to both minimize discomfort AND damage for those too-sunny days. Just promise yourself to be more careful next time!
1. Aloe Vera gel is the classic after sun soother for anywhere on your body. Keep a bottle in your fridge for a truly refreshing and rejuvenating skin treat, especially on a (yikes!) sunburn! These gels tend to go on a little sticky, but only until they dry. Ole Henrickson All Purpose Aloe Vera Gel is formulated with chamomile and it feels SO GOOD on skin. ($21 at Sephora.com)
2. You can also get straight up aloe vera gel at most health foods stores (like Whole Foods). This 100% pure aloe vera gel by Aubrey Organics is excellent. ($5.10 at VitaminShoppe.com)
3. Burts Bees Aloe & Linden Flower After Sun Soother. Made with aloe vera, coconut oil and bee pollen, this can be used on your face and body for a simple, refreshing and soothing treatment. ($10 at BurtsBees.com)
4. Korres Yoghurt Cooling Gel. Korres makes some of the best feeling lotions out there, and this cooling gel made with real yoghurt is sublimely soothing. ($23.50 at Sephora)
5. Also, it's a but spendy, but check out the Korres Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Facial cream for a major overnight TLC job on your face. ($45 at Sephora.com)
6. St Tropez Aftersun Lotion With A Hint Of Self Tan. Ha -- I love the concept of this product, which is made with raspberry seed oil, vitamin E and Aloe Vera to really moisturize your skin post-sun, but also contains a "hint" of self tanner. It's like: Soothe your skin but also MAXIMIZE YOUR TAN! I can get behind that. ($25.46 at Asos.com)
7. Yes to Cucumbers Natural After-Sun Serum with Shimmer. I love the "Yes To ...." line, especially the cucumber scented products which smell SO good. This is a great product to toss in your beach bag; rub some on while you're still out in the sun and you'll get just a hint of shimmer. ($9.99 at Target)
Last but not least -- don't forget about your hair!
8. Fekkai Summer Hair After Sun Daily Mask. Fekkai is a luxury hair care brand, but their line is really worth the money. You can use this mask daily after sun to detangle, condition, and help protect your color from fading in the sun. ($25 at Fekkai.com)
9. Matrix Biolage After Sun Repair Spray is a lightweight, leave-in treatment mist geared toward minimizing damage and protecting your hair. it also soothes your toasty scalp! ($10.10 at BeautyBay.com)
How good are you about protecting yourself from the sun?