Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

How do you treat a cold sore?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter has a monster cold sore on her lower lip this week.  We've been treating with L-lysine and Abreva.  She's avoiding lipsticks and of course she's not sharing cups or silverware or anything like that to avoid passing it on to others.

How do you treat a cold sore?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jenniferlee_12
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM
My husband uses Abreva.
littlemascara
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I don't get them but DH does.  He takes gobs of L-Lysine but the best thing is 2 different RX your DR can give.  They are anti-viral, one is a cream (Denavir) and the other a pill (acyclovir).  DD has a friend that well, it's way beyond a cold sore... it goes all over her face, nose, mouth, throat, eyes, ears... she has to go to the hospital for IV infusion of the anti-viral. :(  Abreva is pretty useless according to DH, his can be pretty bad.  The RX cream is expensive but if you start using it as soon as you think one is coming, you can pretty well stop them.

dmom27
by Christina on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM

L-lysine and Abreva is a start.  Plus, building up her immune system so that she can heal faster.  Emergen-C is great, echinacea, multi-vitamins, rest, and drink lots of water.  Also de-stress. 

dmom27
by Christina on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

My husband uses Collodial Silver to boost his immune system.  Comes in liquid form, and he sprays it under his tongue.

rosebud727
by Rose on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I do mostly what has already been suggested and I stay out of the sun.

momwriter
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I've only ever used Abreva. Don't worry, it'll go away!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)