6 Ways to Prevent Your Child From Getting Lice Now - Are you worried about your kids getting lice?
by Michele Zipp
Are you itching just thinking about the possibility of your child getting lice? Unfortunately with summer camp wrapping up, it's quite a huge possibility for many kids -- families -- to face.
But some experts say that preventing lice is actually easier than dealing with an outbreak, meaning it's not inevitable as long as you and your kids follow some very important steps.
1. Board-certified dermatologist Paradi Mirmirani, MD, FAAD, and assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco, reminds us that lice don't live very long off the human head, and they don't fly or jump, so one of our best bets to prevent lice is to stop our kids from putting their head against another child's head.
2. Dr. Mirmirani suggests using hot water to wash everything. It kills lice and could help curb an infestation.
3. Tell your child not to share hats, scarves, helmets, brushes, and combs with anyone.
4. Encourage your child to use his or her own hook at school and not to pile any clothes on top of other children's items.
5. This one is controversial, but if there is an outbreak of lice and your child hasn't started scratching yet, avoid sleepovers for a bit.
6. Dr. Mirmirani recommends weekly head checks with your child, explaining to them what you are looking for and why. The more they know, the more prepared they will be and they will perhaps know how to avoid getting lice as well.
What other lice preventing tips would you share?