Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone use a cream with retinol in it?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

I recently started using an under eye cream with retinol in it. Initially I loved it! It absorbed easily and felt soothing on my skin. But after about a week it started to burn! And every product i used close to my eye area started to burn too!  

I don't have any redness or obvious signs of irritation, but I can't use a product that feels like it burns my skin.....is this a normal thing with retinol? Has anyone had a similar experience?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondiemomof2
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Yes I use retin a and my skin burned at first. It was a different kind of burn feeling than an allergic reaction though. 

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

did the burn go away? I'm scared to use the cream now...

Quoting blondiemomof2:

Yes I use retin a and my skin burned at first. It was a different kind of burn feeling than an allergic reaction though. 

Tieia
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM

It can be very irritating! That happened to me and I had to stop putting anything on my skin for a week!

blondiemomof2
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Oh yeah the sensitivity went away after about 3 weeks. are you wearing sunscreen or staying out of the Sun?

Quoting jellybeanjean:

Quoting blondiemomof2:

DirtyHippyMama
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I used to~ 

DirtyHippyMama
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I should again! 

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

my moisturizer has spf, but frankly i don't get out in the sun much anyway....

Quoting blondiemomof2:

Oh yeah the sensitivity went away after about 3 weeks. are you wearing sunscreen or staying out of the Sun?

Quoting jellybeanjean:

Quoting blondiemomof2:

saysmom
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Yes, that is normal! Mine burns when I put it on sometimes and then if I try to put something else like a moisturizer or something it burns too!

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Wow I can't believe this is normal! Ahhhh no likey!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kika.fleur
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I use a retinol serum and sometimes it tingles, but not always.

Do use a sunscreen or something the an SPF in it as the retinol makes skin more sensitive to the sun. Unless you don't ever get out and don't ever go near a window, you should wear something with an SPF.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)