Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Hmmm What do you think of this?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

Bosses admit they would discriminate against women not wearing makeup

More than two thirds of employers admit they would be less likely to employ a female job applicant if she did not wear makeup to the job interview.

Businesswoman
Many bosses disapprove of women going make-up free to key business meetings. Photo: ALAMY

Almost half (49%) surveyed said it would be a major factor in their decision if the position was in sales or was a public-facing role in the company.

A similar proportion of company executives admitted they would discriminate against female staff who did not wear cosmetics on a regular basis, with almost 61% saying it would have a detrimental effect on the woman’s promotion prospects.

Almost 40% said female staff would be much less likely to get promoted if the job entailed meeting people and members of the public.

The survey by the beauty retailer Escentual.com also found that more than two thirds of bosses (67%) would take a dim view of female staff not wearing make-up at key business meetings.

This attitude appeared to be having an impact on women’s confidence, as two thirds of female staff said they would feel much less confident if they were at a high-level meeting without cosmetics on.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, a similar proportion (64%) of female staff surveyed said they would always wear make-up at work, and almost all women (98%) said they would wear make-up to a job interview.

Emma Leslie, Escentual.com beauty editor, said: "Whether rightly or wrongly, British bosses clearly think that keeping up appearances at work is an important factor for female staff if they want to get on in their career.

"It's also quite startling to learn that women feel that they need make-up in order to impress at work, and our survey showed there is a strong psychological element to wearing make-up that makes women feel more poised, confident and 'put together'.

“We would like to point out that great skincare, healthy diet and positive attitude are also fantastic for boosting confidence, and that should also be an attractive thing for employers."

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I think that's kind of weird.....but I would expect women to be judged on appearance...I guess makeup is part of that...

allabout11708
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Makes me happy that I can go to work in a pony tail, jeans, no makeup, and a ninja turtle tshirt and my boss doesn't care. And he hired me with no makeup on .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZombieChicken
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
If you face customers, then yes you probably should wear makeup. Like it or not people judge.
just.me.
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

it depends on your job.  I'm not going to buy a new Chanel suit or a Lexus from someone that looks like  they could not be bothered to change out of the clothes they wear when they clean their gutters, ya know?  I expect you to represent what you sell or do.  On the other hand, if your job is cleaning gutters... well, more power to you if you can do that with impeccable makeup on, but I don't expect my gutter cleaner person to look like they are Fortune 500!  DH works in a corporate setting, and they are pretty casual...but when he wants to appear to have a little more authority, or remind others of his, it's not going to get done in jeans, concert t-shirt and converse.  He needs a suit, tie, good haircut and a shave. 

Apr1l
by Katie on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Did I miss it or are these Men bosses admitting this? I thought they didn't notice that sort of thing hah
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM
It reminds me of an episode of malcolm in the middle where they get her to wear more makeup to work and then guys start helping her and suddenly being nice. At the end someone mistakes her for a prostitute. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just.me.
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

LOL :D

Quoting Apr1l:

Did I miss it or are these Men bosses admitting this? I thought they didn't notice that sort of thing hah

sophiesmom07
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Wow, interesting.  I think it depends on the job and the work environment.  I personally think women look more pulled together with makeup on. In an office environment or corporate position, I could see how wearing makeup could make a difference. 

Apr1l
by Katie on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

lol

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

It reminds me of an episode of malcolm in the middle where they get her to wear more makeup to work and then guys start helping her and suddenly being nice. At the end someone mistakes her for a prostitute. Lol

Ricanmami88
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I think that is total bull.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN