Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Ugh, red dye fading

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hey everyone I'm a newbie! My name is Courtney and I love beauty products. I recently used a permanent red dye on my hair. About 6 months before the dye I used peroxide to lighten it. The dye is already fading and it's only been two weeks. My question is can I put a semi permanent red color on top of the permanent color?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TearieLeigh
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Hello! I dye my hair bright red! So I think i can help!. 

For starters red is the most hard hair color to keep! It fades so quickly, and touches are needed twice a month! I use Lorel Hi-Color in the color RED. The dye is made for dark hair, so it lightens your hair has it dyes it red.  I use a 30 clear devloper, mixed with the dye.  Now since that will fade with every single wash, I like to use dry shampoo!

While in the shower, I keep my hair in shower cap. The dye will run and fade if you get your hair wet. After I shower and get dressed I use a spray-in dry shampoo. Then a leave-in condictioner. Works wonders to keep the hair from fadeing! 

Now when it comes to using semi permanent hair color, you can do this, but it's going to be hard to get the exact match on the red. A lot of the times, it's a bit of  a pink color.
I reccomend the brand Beyond the Zone, and Manic Panic.
Beyond the zone last longer then Manic Panic and is cheaper.

MY RED HAIR.

ae86mommy
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM
I do not have red hair now, but I have in the past. Red always fades fast. For me, what helped a lot what getting some semi permanent vegetable based red dye, and adding a quarter sized amount to my shampoo every time I washed my hair, which was once a week or so :) it would freshen up my color and keep it looking nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michaelsmom25
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Thanks! I looove your hair. My dh would be shocked if my color came out as bright as yours lol. I've heard of manic panic but it might be too dramatic for my complexion. Your hair is BEAUTIFUL but it might might be too much on me. Right now its dark at the top and fades into a red. Before I died it I used peroxide in the summer. Since its grown out to about the last 6-8 inches of my hair that is where red is the brightest. I've never tried a dry shampoo. What kind do you reccomend?? Will it remove product build up like leave in conditioners?

Quoting TearieLeigh:

Hello! I dye my hair bright red! So I think i can help!. 

For starters red is the most hard hair color to keep! It fades so quickly, and touches are needed twice a month! I use Lorel Hi-Color in the color RED. The dye is made for dark hair, so it lightens your hair has it dyes it red.  I use a 30 clear devloper, mixed with the dye.  Now since that will fade with every single wash, I like to use dry shampoo!

While in the shower, I keep my hair in shower cap. The dye will run and fade if you get your hair wet. After I shower and get dressed I use a spray-in dry shampoo. Then a leave-in condictioner. Works wonders to keep the hair from fadeing! 

Now when it comes to using semi permanent hair color, you can do this, but it's going to be hard to get the exact match on the red. A lot of the times, it's a bit of  a pink color.
I reccomend the brand Beyond the Zone, and Manic Panic.
Beyond the zone last longer then Manic Panic and is cheaper.

MY RED HAIR.

michaelsmom25
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM
What a great idea! What brand of semi permanent do you use?

Quoting ae86mommy: I do not have red hair now, but I have in the past. Red always fades fast. For me, what helped a lot what getting some semi permanent vegetable based red dye, and adding a quarter sized amount to my shampoo every time I washed my hair, which was once a week or so :) it would freshen up my color and keep it looking nice.
ae86mommy
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM
I used splat. You can get it for 8-9 dollars at most drugstores or online if they don't have the color you want at the store :)

Quoting michaelsmom25: What a great idea! What brand of semi permanent do you use?

Quoting ae86mommy: I do not have red hair now, but I have in the past. Red always fades fast. For me, what helped a lot what getting some semi permanent vegetable based red dye, and adding a quarter sized amount to my shampoo every time I washed my hair, which was once a week or so :) it would freshen up my color and keep it looking nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michaelsmom25
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

Quoting ae86mommy: I used splat. You can get it for 8-9 dollars at most drugstores or online if they don't have the color you want at the store :)

Quoting michaelsmom25: What a great idea! What brand of semi permanent do you use?

TearieLeigh
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Loreal Hi-Color, hair dye, has other colors then my crazy bright red hair! They have some dark shades and diffrent tints which are beautiful. I buy it at Sallys. 

I don't care to much for Manic Panic, but I have used it many times to touch up my red since my shade is so bright! ( I actually just ended up dying my hair black, but left the underneath of it red so I'm only using Manic Panic and Beyond the Zone on it ) 

Quoting michaelsmom25: Thanks! I looove your hair. My dh would be shocked if my color came out as bright as yours lol. I've heard of manic panic but it might be too dramatic for my complexion. Your hair is BEAUTIFUL but it might might be too much on me. Right now its dark at the top and fades into a red. Before I died it I used peroxide in the summer. Since its grown out to about the last 6-8 inches of my hair that is where red is the brightest. I've never tried a dry shampoo. What kind do you reccomend?? Will it remove product build up like leave in conditioners?

purplepink1992
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:53 AM

Do you have access to a cosmo prof? Joico has THEE most amazing red. It is like Manic Panic but it's permanent, and you can also buy colour boosters for it to make it even more bold. 

michaelsmom25
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM
I've never heard of it. I'm going to look it up now and find out if the beauty store has it. Thank you

Quoting purplepink1992:

Do you have access to a cosmo prof? Joico has THEE most amazing red. It is like Manic Panic but it's permanent, and you can also buy colour boosters for it to make it even more bold. 

jessi2girls
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM

yes, you can, but you'd be better off getting a kicker and applying that to the semi permanent color..

Be warned.. if your hair is damaged.. the cuticles will be too open to retain pigment for long and even if you went permanent it will eventually fade out..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)