Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Makeup help

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM
  • 12 Replies

Stupid question,

I want to start wearing make up. I have developed acne and its starting to looking really bothersome. I went to the  store and I have no idea what I need. Can someone make me a list of items I need from start to finish like I am sure I need foundation but they had all these liquids and powders and it was all called "blendable liquid makeup" so I wasn't sure if it was what I needed. Also, i have circles under my eyes I would like to touch up as well. Am I supposed to apply whatever I need with a brush or with a sponge? I can look up youtube how to apply I assume, but I don't know what I am supposed to have to apply...

Thanks

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoyalT26
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM

If you have acne I suggest using neutrogena makeup, it doesn't clog pores and will help your skin. IMO the basics are a good foundation a good concealer and a loose powder, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara is a must, I don't use blush but you can play around with it. :-) and of course a lipstick or colored lip gloss....Is there a Sephora near you? they give excellent beauty advice, they will even do your makeup and help you w colors. Just make sure you getting whatever does not clog pores! good luck! 

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm ok ...you need

primer for face and eyes

Foundation

concealer

Finishing/setting powder( not a necessity )

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Depending on the coverage of your foundation you can use the concealer to spot cover your acne and for the under eye circles. If your foundation is full coverage you will provably only need the concealer very little under the eyes.

For dark circles I recommend a yellow toned concealer. LancĂ´me Maqicomplette correcteur is nice, but Nyx has a cheaper version.

linmei
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I would go to the department store or sephora. If you have acne prone skin I wouldn't risk buying the cheap stuff. They can apply and point you in the right direction as far as selecting products.

Quoting RoyalT26:

If you have acne I suggest using neutrogena makeup, it doesn't clog pores and will help your skin. IMO the basics are a good foundation a good concealer and a loose powder, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara is a must, I don't use blush but you can play around with it. :-) and of course a lipstick or colored lip gloss....Is there a Sephora near you? they give excellent beauty advice, they will even do your makeup and help you w colors. Just make sure you getting whatever does not clog pores! good luck! 

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

You can use a brush a sponge or even your fingers to apply makeup. I suggest investing in cheap brushes and sponges and try them out to see what you like best. Pick what you are most comfortable using. Some people like brushes some like sponges! The only thing I would be careful with is if you choose to use your fingers make sure your hands are clean, and try to use less product. There is a tendancy when people use their hands to pile stuff up.

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I agree. If you have any skin issues do not cheap out on foundation!

Quoting linmei: I would go to the department store or sephora. If you have acne prone skin I wouldn't risk buying the cheap stuff. They can apply and point you in the right direction as far as selecting products.

Quoting RoyalT26:

Apr1l
by Katie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Kat von d tattoo concealer works great on spots
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Thanks ladies. I don't want to go expensive until I see if I can figure it out first. I've tried makeup before and somehow, I just don't get it. I look nothing like the video by the end, I actually look like a clown lol. if I can't figure it out I don't want a bunch of expensive, wasted makeup
charmgirl
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I love this post. I have the same problem and I don't know where to start with make up. My skin is horrible. I'm afraid to go to the store like sephora or whatever because I don't want them to sell me a bunch of shit. Like I want basics.
JessLexington
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I think you should treat your acne first.

It may get worse.

Sorry to scare you, but it's the truth for most people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN