Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pedicure help?!?!?!?!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM
  • 5 Replies

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I can't think of any where else. 

Two weeks ago, I went to get my monthly pedicure, and everything seemed normal. Although last week, I removed the nail polish color, to change it myself. I just was not loving the color I had gotten. After removing the polish, I noticed this white (infected looking) spot under my toe nail, around the cuticle on one corner. I thought it was an infection so I have treated it like one, being extra careful and doing everything right for an infection. Last night as i was cleaning the nail I saw that it is not an actual infection, and that the nail is actually just coming off! I can pull it up, and clearly see there is no infection underneath. 

It's like the nail has split side ways at the cuticle, and is coming off. ( not the whole nail only just the outer cornor, down at the cuticle ) 

I'm wondering if this could be caused by getting a pedicure? I did go to a diffrent salon then I normally do, since my usual place was packed and I didn't feel like waiting forever. I don't recall doing anything that would have damaged my nail, and I noticed a couple days after my pedicure the spot where the nail is "split " was slightly raised.

Is there a way to fix this? Or an i going to have to get the nail removed? Has anyone else had to deal with something like this?

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Yea could have been from improperly cleaning tool at the pedicure.

I once got a wart from a pedicure!

yours seems like a fungal infection. It will grow out, or you can take medication.....but it take a long time for it to work because you still have to grow out the nail! I have heard of people using Vicks vapo rub to treat fungal infections on the toe.....but I have never done it myself.

good luck!

TearieLeigh
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I have gotten an infection once before from a nail salon, and I never went back. 
I treated that with Tea Tree oil, and that's what I have been doing with this.

I just don't know what to do about the part of the nail that is coming off. Not in an area I can cut it off at. 

Quoting jellybeanjean:

Yea could have been from improperly cleaning tool at the pedicure.

I once got a wart from a pedicure!

yours seems like a fungal infection. It will grow out, or you can take medication.....but it take a long time for it to work because you still have to grow out the nail! I have heard of people using Vicks vapo rub to treat fungal infections on the toe.....but I have never done it myself.

good luck!

kika.fleur
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:56 AM

I think the best is to see a podiatrist.

Disneymom18
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:59 AM
Go see your doctor.
RMT1995
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Yes, your Dr will give you an antibiotic, take it all. In December 2012I used a Groupon for a pedi at a new place. Never again!! Next month when I went for my birthday pedi, I noticed that the polish didn't grow out at all on the big toe of my right foot. Then I noticed the cuticle area was sore. My nail stopped growing and, even though I never fully lost the nail, a new one began growing under it and pushed the now-dead nail up. To this day, the deadened part of the nail still hasn't grown completely out (yes, a year later!) Go to the Dr asap. My situation was caused by someone who was rushed and obviously not as sanitary as they should be. Go to a place that sets aside new tools for each client.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)