Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Coloring hair = breakouts along hairline!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Amy
  • 15 Replies

All along my hair line on my neck, I get these awful cystic pimples a few days to a week after I color my hair.  Does this indicate an allergy to the color?  Or is it just that my skin is really sensitive or what?

Is there anything, short of NOT coloring my hair, that I can do to keep from getting these breakouts?

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
digdug
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Hey! I was wondering if you or your stylist uses a cream to stop the color from staining? It could either be the cream or it could be NOT using a cream. In any case I'm a stylist and I use ion barrier cream from sally beauty.
twinners.mama
by Kayla on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM
My mom used to get something on her scalp when she would get her hair dyed. Then her stylist opened her own salon and started using a line of organic dyes. She doesn't get it anymore.
Retrokitty
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Vaseline along the hairline maybe?
Sbellemommy
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM
What color?
lalalamama
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM
I stopped colouring my hair after 25 years of thinking it was the right thing to do. Wow! I'm free, I'm real and authentic for the first time in decades!!!! I feelgreat and look great.
I wouldn't put up with the problems you're having, that's just my opinion.
purplepink1992
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

vaseline, coconut oil, or even conditioner around your hairline!

CherryAddict
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Quoting digdug: Hey! I was wondering if you or your stylist uses a cream to stop the color from staining? It could either be the cream or it could be NOT using a cream. In any case I'm a stylist and I use ion barrier cream from sally beauty.

Yes, if you are not using a cream barrier when coloring your hair, I definitely second the ion barrier cream suggestion.  I use it on myself when I color my hair and on clients and it not only helps from getting stains but those who do normally get those skin irritations have had a strong decrease in breakouts.  So that would be an awesome first thing to try!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Red

Quoting Sbellemommy: What color?

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM

The thing is that while it's at the hairline it's in the hairline, does that make sense?  So if I used a barrier cream or vaseline or something those hairs would end up not getting colored.

Quoting CherryAddict:

Quoting digdug: Hey! I was wondering if you or your stylist uses a cream to stop the color from staining? It could either be the cream or it could be NOT using a cream. In any case I'm a stylist and I use ion barrier cream from sally beauty.

Yes, if you are not using a cream barrier when coloring your hair, I definitely second the ion barrier cream suggestion.  I use it on myself when I color my hair and on clients and it not only helps from getting stains but those who do normally get those skin irritations have had a strong decrease in breakouts.  So that would be an awesome first thing to try!

CherryAddict
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM
okay so it is actually in the hairline! gotcha, and yeah that wouldnt work well for those roots.

Do you use color with amonia or amonia free, do you know? there could be an allergy to the chemical base, possibly. Is it only when you color your hair- or does it happen periodically between coloring?

Quoting amonkeymom:

The thing is that while it's at the hairline it's in the hairline, does that make sense?  So if I used a barrier cream or vaseline or something those hairs would end up not getting colored.

Quoting CherryAddict:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)