Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

No Longer Forever 21, Not Yet Chico's Chic

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 50 Replies

Where can I find age-appropriate clothes, specifically dresses???  I'm in serious need of some new clothes, but I'm having a hard time finding dresses that cover my butt yet aren't dragging-the-floor maxi dresses; right above the knee is fine.  Where do you shop for clothes that don't look like Forever 21 young or Chico's old & still reasonably priced?  Give me your favorite small town boutiques, designer stores, chain stores, I don't care!  But I have to be able to shop online!!!

by on May. 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorbinsMumma
by New Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:26 PM
I go to Salvation Army sorry
rfhsure
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM
I go to the thrift store 90% of the time, or repurpose stuff to make it mine. But, if I wanted to spend a little extra I'd just go to target. They have lots of cute stuff out right now, nice summer dresses.
marinemami07
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I'm right there with ya! I'm 35, almost 36 (yikes!) & even tho I don't "look my age with 3 children, that I hear a lot!" I too struggle with clothes. But I think over the last few years my style has been the best it's ever been. Because now I really take my time in choosing clothes that compliment my ever changing figure. Not whats in style, what looks nice on me, my style.
So I go everywhere! Kohls ( when on sale), yardsales ( I'm not ashamed, it's just like a friend giving you her clothes, except you pay a little, long as it's in good shape), eBay!! I can't say enough about the beautiful clothes I've gotton! I look at Walmart & the mall. I look at things On sale 1st.
I put a sexy shirt with more conservative pants or skirt, or vice versa. Or a cute semi pro outfit paired with sexy shoes. So I feel appropriate for my age with my kids, but I'm still staying true to my sexy style. But toned down.
I love dresses & skirts, but if you see a maxi jus hem it yourself or go to a tailor. I'm short (4'11) but curvy from kids. So I tailor my clothes a lot. I'm telling you it makes a huge difference!!
I hope I helped you!!
CocoMama88
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Just got a few really cute dresses from Macys. All were 40-60% off and are really nice!
rockinmomto2
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Target, Kohls, JC Penney, things long those lines. 

JenLynWhit
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM

That's me!  31, 5'2", 135 lbs, not curvy just ridiculously big-bottomed.  And nearly everything I own has to be tailored.  Part of my problem is that I really need to try things on, but I live in Germany & do all of my shopping at online stores in the states.  (Fashion here is sooo different!  If it has been popular in the past 50 years, it's instyle here.)  So my style has evolved a lot just based on what I think might fit & will ship here.  But I really want to break out of the jeans & t-shirts that I wear everyday and add some dresses.

Quoting marinemami07: I'm right there with ya! I'm 35, almost 36 (yikes!) & even tho I don't "look my age with 3 children, that I hear a lot!" I too struggle with clothes. But I think over the last few years my style has been the best it's ever been. Because now I really take my time in choosing clothes that compliment my ever changing figure. Not whats in style, what looks nice on me, my style. So I go everywhere! Kohls ( when on sale), yardsales ( I'm not ashamed, it's just like a friend giving you her clothes, except you pay a little, long as it's in good shape), eBay!! I can't say enough about the beautiful clothes I've gotton! I look at Walmart & the mall. I look at things On sale 1st. I put a sexy shirt with more conservative pants or skirt, or vice versa. Or a cute semi pro outfit paired with sexy shoes. So I feel appropriate for my age with my kids, but I'm still staying true to my sexy style. But toned down. I love dresses & skirts, but if you see a maxi jus hem it yourself or go to a tailor. I'm short (4'11) but curvy from kids. So I tailor my clothes a lot. I'm telling you it makes a huge difference!! I hope I helped you!!

JenLynWhit
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I have all these cute little boutiques that I used to shop at on my Facebook feed with really great dresses, but everything is up to your crack!  Surely there are some boutiques for 30-somethings!!!!

marinemami07
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand that. Id love to see the styles of another country. Course I'm in the states, east coast. I'd shop your best & just keep altering things. Stay classic & maybe just splurge on a few cool things & mix them with more conservative things. eBay!!!!!!
FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM

You and I are just about the same size, so I can totally relate.  Some of my favorites are Bananna Republic, Ann Taylor, The Gap, Macy's, Nordstroms.  My favorite brand of jeans are NYDJ (Not Your Daughter Jeans) they fit like a glove and suck in your gut, LOL.  Ann Taylor is great for tops and dresses, and skirts, but I have a hard time finding pants that fit there anymore.

JenLynWhit
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I've seen mommas at the playground dressed like Madonna's "Like a Virgin" & dad's getting groceries thinking they're all Ricky Martin, open shirts.  And grannies don't do natural & gray here; everything is sangria,magenta or Lucy-red!  It can get wild!!! 

Quoting marinemami07: I understand that. Id love to see the styles of another country. Course I'm in the states, east coast. I'd shop your best & just keep altering things. Stay classic & maybe just splurge on a few cool things & mix them with more conservative things. eBay!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)