Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

What to wear to a Wedding

Posted by on May. 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

My family is invited to a wedding next week and I don't know what to wear. I hate to buy a dress that I will only wear maybe once. I am 55 years old 5'4" and weigh about 164 lbs. Any thoughts suggestions?

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on May. 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 18, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Why not wear a nice pair of slacks and a pretty blouse?  Don't buy something you won't wear again!

wintermoon111
by on May. 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM
do you have a skirt and blouse?
la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM

My MIL does dress slacks with a dressy blouse and she looked lovely at the last wedding we attended.

3mom627
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM
I just bought a really pretty maxi skirt and top. I was thinking if I bought some really pretty sandals that may do it.
MsBlueBelle
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM

If money is an issue, or you are super frugal like me, buy that cute pair of sandals at your local Goodwill store.  I always shop there.  I will be 54 this year and I am a fashion nut.  I have taken over both closets in my bedroom, the closets in my ds & dd's old rooms (they are on their own) as well as all of the dressers in their rooms.  That is six closets and 7 dressers.  That does not count the drawers I have under each of the beds!

What time is the wedding?  Day or night?  Is is outdoors or a formal church and reception type? 

lady-t3984
by Tina on May. 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM
I am going to show this reply to my daughters! They keep calling me a hoarder! I'm not a hoarder,I have clothes in all 3 bedrooms closets,the rec room,and this is after I donated some things. OP,I'm 54,because I love clothes,and I love going the whole 10 yards,when I dress. If,you're going to wear a skirt,blouse, dress it up nicely with beautiful jewelry,nice shoes,and bag. Enjoy yourself at the wedding!

Quoting MsBlueBelle:

If money is an issue, or you are super frugal like me, buy that cute pair of sandals at your local Goodwill store.  I always shop there.  I will be 54 this year and I am a fashion nut.  I have taken over both closets in my bedroom, the closets in my ds & dd's old rooms (they are on their own) as well as all of the dressers in their rooms.  That is six closets and 7 dressers.  That does not count the drawers I have under each of the beds!

What time is the wedding?  Day or night?  Is is outdoors or a formal church and reception type? 

MsBlueBelle
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

lady-t3984, I am very 'old school' when I wear an outfit, I have to have the shoes, the purse to  match the shoes, earrings, a necklace, all built around a dress.  This is why I shop at Goodwill for my go-withs.  If I get a great dress on sale, I take that dress to Goodwill and find all the pieces that can make that dress okay for a run to the grocery store or for a dinner out.  I wore a uniform to school every day k-12, then joined the Air Force and uniforms again.  When I retired to civilian life, I love my clothes.  I can wear anything I want to.  I ALWAYS wear matching bra and panties, I also have to have nice pj's.  Now that my children are done with college and living on their own, I can spend my money on me, which is very nice for a change. 

Quoting lady-t3984: I am going to show this reply to my daughters! They keep calling me a hoarder! I'm not a hoarder,I have clothes in all 3 bedrooms closets,the rec room,and this is after I donated some things. OP,I'm 54,because I love clothes,and I love going the whole 10 yards,when I dress. If,you're going to wear a skirt,blouse, dress it up nicely with beautiful jewelry,nice shoes,and bag. Enjoy yourself at the wedding!
Quoting MsBlueBelle:

lady-t3984
by Tina on May. 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM
This is me! I love my clothes,and I love looking good in them!

Quoting MsBlueBelle:

lady-t3984, I am very 'old school' when I wear an outfit, I have to have the shoes, the purse to  match the shoes, earrings, a necklace, all built around a dress.  This is why I shop at Goodwill for my go-withs.  If I get a great dress on sale, I take that dress to Goodwill and find all the pieces that can make that dress okay for a run to the grocery store or for a dinner out.  I wore a uniform to school every day k-12, then joined the Air Force and uniforms again.  When I retired to civilian life, I love my clothes.  I can wear anything I want to.  I ALWAYS wear matching bra and panties, I also have to have nice pj's.  Now that my children are done with college and living on their own, I can spend my money on me, which is very nice for a change. 

Quoting lady-t3984: I am going to show this reply to my daughters! They keep calling me a hoarder! I'm not a hoarder,I have clothes in all 3 bedrooms closets,the rec room,and this is after I donated some things. OP,I'm 54,because I love clothes,and I love going the whole 10 yards,when I dress. If,you're going to wear a skirt,blouse, dress it up nicely with beautiful jewelry,nice shoes,and bag. Enjoy yourself at the wedding!
Quoting MsBlueBelle:

MsBlueBelle
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM

What did you wear to the wedding?  Pictures?

3mom627
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I bought a pair of sandals and a coral dressy type top at Burlington.  I think I got away with about $20. I am glad I did not go out and buy anything really dressy as people were dressed all kinds of ways from very dressy to very casual.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN