Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

Online makeup artist?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hi! I'm new here :) My name is Kaytea. I have an almost 7 month old and I've been spending a lot of time thinking about how to accomplish my career goals while also being a mom. My plan is to become a certified makeup artist now, add hair design when my DD goes to school, and be a freelance artist working with weddings, beauty pageants, photoshoots, etc. This is my passion.

The only issue is that I can't go to a brick and mortor school until DD is in school. I have no family where we are, daycare is expensive, and she's breastfeeding so I can't leave for long (I don't respond to a pump so I can't store milk). I've been looking into online makeup courses.. But they all look kind of shotty. I'm really just wanting to have credentials behind my name to be more professional. I'm pretty much self taught and love to experiment with different makeups and techniques. Not saying I wouldn't learn anything from a class- I'm excited for new info :)

So, are there any online classes you know about that are worth anything? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing, get some makeup theory books, and not worry about the credentials?
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
twinners.mama
by Kayla on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Could you meet with a local school that you would want to eventually attend? Ask how their programs run. Ask if they accept credits from any online courses, etc. I think that would be your best shot! You never know, maybe they will have a class that fits into your schedule and you could just do one class here and there until you dd is older.
KayteaCat217
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM
There's no makeup schools in my area unfortunately!! They're all either cosmetology or esthetician programs that have really strict hours. Even the part time ones would require me to be gone around dinner/bedtime which I'm not willing to give up. I've been talking to some industry professionals and credentials don't really mean squat when it comes down to it, it's your portfolio that will get you clients! So I'm just going to build from the ground up and practice practice :)

Quoting twinners.mama: Could you meet with a local school that you would want to eventually attend? Ask how their programs run. Ask if they accept credits from any online courses, etc. I think that would be your best shot! You never know, maybe they will have a class that fits into your schedule and you could just do one class here and there until you dd is older.
marinemami07
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM
I understand where your coming from bc I too want to get my cosmetology degree. Just in makeup. I don't want to do hair. But I am moving cross country to Ca in 3 wks & we will have no family around to watch my daughter while I attend school.
I think the online thing prolly don't work out. I was looking too. It seems shady. The best route is to do it right & go to school. I think evening classes are best, specially if your a home mom, like I am. We don't want our daughter in day care either.
In order to get it done right we are just gonna have to go to school & suck up that time. We will feel good once we ate finished. I put it off too long! I had a baby within a year we moved to our new house & she's 18 months now. I wish I did it sooner.
But moving again soon & I think this is a good time to get it done. Ill be ready for a career soon, specially once my daughter is a little older. Good luck, I'm in the same boat as you!
KayteaCat217
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Yeah, definitely after doing my research online is off the table. Even if there were evening classes in my area I still have the same problem- who would watch my daughter? I'm just going to build my business from the ground up! As of right now you don't need a license in my state. Good luck to you too :)

Quoting marinemami07: I understand where your coming from bc I too want to get my cosmetology degree. Just in makeup. I don't want to do hair. But I am moving cross country to Ca in 3 wks & we will have no family around to watch my daughter while I attend school.
I think the online thing prolly don't work out. I was looking too. It seems shady. The best route is to do it right & go to school. I think evening classes are best, specially if your a home mom, like I am. We don't want our daughter in day care either.
In order to get it done right we are just gonna have to go to school & suck up that time. We will feel good once we ate finished. I put it off too long! I had a baby within a year we moved to our new house & she's 18 months now. I wish I did it sooner.
But moving again soon & I think this is a good time to get it done. Ill be ready for a career soon, specially once my daughter is a little older. Good luck, I'm in the same boat as you!
marinemami07
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Oh ok. I thought you were married & your husband would watch your baby. Sry! I know for anything that makes good $ you need a degree/license. I'm good in makeup too always have been, but just going out there & doing it, is something I wouldn't do. I'd like to have my degree to back me up Good luck!
KayteaCat217
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 8:51 AM
I am haha! But he works out of town frequently for weeks at a time so it's never a guarantee that he can baby sit. I've been talking to a lot of industry professionals, and they said clients rarely ask about credentials. They care more about your portfolio.

Quoting marinemami07: Oh ok. I thought you were married & your husband would watch your baby. Sry! I know for anything that makes good $ you need a degree/license. I'm good in makeup too always have been, but just going out there & doing it, is something I wouldn't do. I'd like to have my degree to back me up Good luck!
marinemami07
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Oh! Well good to know! My hubby is in the Marines. So he's been home a lot bc of being in a non deployable unit. B next move, he'll prolly go somewhere so I'm wondering how I'll go to school too. Mite have to look for a sitter!
jenpen426
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Where do you live? What about craigslist to look for potential clients to build up your name in the meantime?
KayteaCat217
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM
I live outside of ATL so there's plenty of opportunity. And that's actually what one of my friends suggested, just have to build up my professional kit first and just get a few pictures for a portfolio. Hubby already said that I could practice special-effects makeup on him! I know he will try to back out of it but he promised ha. Thank you!

Quoting jenpen426: Where do you live? What about craigslist to look for potential clients to build up your name in the meantime?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)