Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Beauty & Style Lounge The Beauty & Style Lounge

how to have a?

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM
  • 6 Replies
How do you pull off having a signature look, or just something about you that just makes you so YOU.

I want to have that about myself and have no clue where to start.
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Aug. 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Hmmmm I think it starts off with what you feel comfortable with. That is key to looking like something is really "you".

.... Are you looking for a signature makeup look? Or more of a fashion style? 

mlpcrusader
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Either or! I'm so lost! Lol...I've never been a girly girl...this hair and makeup is for the birds, but I want to get better. I also am feeling a little bit like I just don't have an identity, so trying to capture something that would make me feel like I do. I hope this is making sense.

Quoting jellybeanjean:

Hmmmm I think it starts off with what you feel comfortable with. That is key to looking like something is really "you".

jellybeanjean
by JeanJeanie on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Hmmm well are there any famous peoples styles that grab you? You can kind of emulate how they do themselves up.....not to a t, but aspects of that style. You can definitely tweak it to make it your own.

as for identity and looks.....well personally I don't think they necessarily have to match. You can have many different styles and be whatever it is you are. You definetly have an identity already, I suppose you are just having a hard time seeing who that it. Don't look to fashion and makeup and style for identity. Fun as it is....That stuff is all  just smoke and mirrors. 

Quoting mlpcrusader: Either or! I'm so lost! Lol...I've never been a girly girl...this hair and makeup is for the birds, but I want to get better. I also am feeling a little bit like I just don't have an identity, so trying to capture something that would make me feel like I do. I hope this is making sense.
Quoting jellybeanjean:

omyheart83
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM

It's kind of something that just happens, and that other people define you by, not you. If you have to think something up and force it, it's not going to work anyways. Sorry.

MonarchMom22
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

first off, I would try to understand what color flatters you and you feel good in.  Then build a wardrobe around that.  Find a few key peices of clothing that really fit your figure, and stick with that look for the basics.

Keep it simple, and try not to have too many embellishments at first.  The goal is to find what really suits you comfort and style wise.

I know for me, being petite and low key, I need clothes that are simple, tailored, and in the light blue/brown/grey/tan range flatter my coloring and shape.  I use patterns very sparingly - just an occaisional scarf or small print on a top.  Everything else is kept very clean lines.  I use necklaces for accents, and I like to layer the same color in several textures - a light blue silk tank with a textured light blue cardigan for example.

Think about the times you felt you looked great - that will be your template.

kika.fleur
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:33 AM

I just try to find a style or some styles that fit me and my life.

All these things are just props. What makes it me is by the style, colour, and fabric of the clothes and the accessories that I use. My clothes, my accessories, my jewellery, hari do and make up reflect my personality.

I would suggest that you look through magazines and websites, save the photos that you like, then go to a store to see whether you look good in these various styles, cuts, fabrics and colours. You are not obligated to buy anything by trying! But it gives you a sense of what works, what doesn't.

Then start by building the wardrobe basics, and go from there. Whatever your budget, it's not easier to find things. Look through sites like eBay and Etsy for inspiration, too. Plan ahead, shop during the sales. Start collecting different jewellery - they really change the outfit.

By the way, having a signature look and looking your best doesn't mean that you have to be girly girl. It just means that you know what you like, what looks good on you, and how to put together everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)