• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would anyone notice if you wore the same thing for an entire year?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM
  • 16 Replies

They didn't when this man did it!

Anchorman Wears Same Suit for a Whole Year & No One Notices

man in a suit

An Australian anchorman has done something most women would find absolutely unthinkable. Are you sitting down, ladies, because you're not going to believe this one. Today co-host Karl Stefanovic confessed that he's been wearing the same navy suit every day for an entire year, and get this, no one noticed! And the reason behind why he did it will make you go from "ewww!" to "ahhhh!" in seconds.

Sure, he says, he changed his shirt and tie (and let's hope his socks and undies, too!), but other than that, he wore what he calls his "cheap Burberry knock-off" every single day for a whole year. When no one seemed to notice, he just kept right on going.

So, just what would make a man in the public eye do something this strange? It was a social experiment, says the newscaster who knew his female co-anchor endured an abundance of criticism for her wardrobe while he never received any.

Well, it looks like Stefanovic proved his point that sexism is alive and well! He explains:  

Women are judged much more harshly and keenly for what they do, what they say, and what they wear.

I love that this guy had the nerve to do this and he wasn't too embarrassed to really go out on a limb -- for a full year! Unfortunately, what he discovered isn't surprising to us, is it? 

Did you see that just last week several news outlets reported on the supposed "genius" behind wearing the same outfit every day? The articles pointed to Mark Zuckerberg's ubiquitous gray T-shirt and President Barack Obama's gray and blue suits as evidence of smart men focused on bigger decisions than merely what to wear.

While that might work for them, can you imagine if women tried this? Picture Kate Middleton wearing the same Jenny Packham dress day after day because she's got bigger things on her mind? Designers everywhere would be horrified and she'd be publicly ridiculed. Remember when she recycled an outfit while traveling and caused quite a kerfuffle? 

Sure, when you first have a baby, it's very easy to slip into that familiar "uniform" of comfy pants and a forgiving shirt, but women working outside the home could never get away with this the way a man can. But, then again, would we want to? 

If you could get away with it, would you wear the same outfit every day?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Men can get away with that. Nobody notices, because those who are male and in a corporate setting can wear a suit, and suits are generally the same. I read this, though, and he's very right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM

It's not fair that guys seem to be able to get away with it while women get chastised for it. I do agree with celestegood though about the suits. They do usually look the same.

conweis
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM

It is easier for a man to get away with it.

lady-t3984
by Tina on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Even, if I could get away with it, I wouldn't do it! I love clothes, I have a passion for clothes! I have a saying, I may be sick, I may be disabled,and walk very funny, but I don't have to look sick! So, that's why I said, I would never feel comfortable wearing the same clothes for a few days, I know I wouldn't do it for a year! I'm trying to understand how he did it, seem like his suit would have lint balls,and a scent after a week or 2.
momofsixangels
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Im not sure.I never pay attention to what others are wearing

JulietAngel89
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I think its silly to be making this a man against woman thing. I went shopping with my husband today to get him something to wear while he swims. He had 1 option in this store. a black speedo and nothing else. I went to the womans section and it had a whole wall of different colours and styles. IMO feminists need to concentrate on the countries where woman are actually being oppressed. 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 5:43 AM

A man could do this with a suit with just a different shirt and tie, but I think women look at women too much to let something like that go by!

Angela4boys
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 7:18 AM

it's fine for a man, but I am certain if it were the anchor woman, they would notice. 

Hannahsmommy816
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

wow!

Jazzdoll
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM

He changed out his shirt and tie. I think a woman could get away with wearing the same simple black or navy shift dress if she was changing out shoes/accessories (scarf/blazer/sweater/jewelry/etc).

When it comes to sax, bigger IS better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)