Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another post on Walking

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

I've heard it all before....it will take time, they all do it on their own terms, everyone is different and so on.....but seriously...will walking ever happen for my 3 1/2 yr old son? He will actually be 4yrs old in April. He is just now starting to get himself in and out of four point (hands and knees) He has actually crawled a few "steps" too. He has always -and I fear forever- will be a butt scooter though! He can pull himself up to stand with our hands, but cannot stand independantly nor can he walk around furniture. He is getting PT, OT, and Speech at school, but nothing outside of that. He is the most delightful little boy I could have ever hoped for, but will walking ever be a part of his life??? Sometimes it doesn't seem like it. IDK....I guess I just need to vent and get a grip on our situation and just continue doing what we are doing....loving our precious angel!!

BTW!!! You ladies have always been a great source of information, comfort and advice!!! Thanks to all of you!!!
Elizabeth

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cmy3kids
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I'm still new on learning about my little guy and Downs, but I really think it happens on their own time. Everyone is different, in so many ways! 

Do you do any of the therapy at home with your little guy? David, my little guy, is not any where near school age (he's 15 mths now) and only has in-home therapy sessions through the school district. I make notes of things that they do with him once a week when they come to "play" with him and I work on those things as well. We actually have a stander that we are working on getting him to stand more straight-up on his legs since he doesn't stand full force on either legs yet. 

punky121405
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM

It sounds like you are doing as much as you can, You are a great mom for being concerned and as long as you are seeing progress even if it's slow thats a good thing.  One of Julia's therapists described her low tone to me as if I was to take a muscle relaxer and then have to do a tough workout.  It is harder for them.  I don't know your situation but we were able to get outpatient therapy for Julia through our insurance we go 2x a week for 45 min. for pt ot speech with a total of 6 visits.  I know that is not available to everybody.    You are doing great, feel free to vent whenever you need to!

beckande
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I know how difficult it can be to wait, our little e took forever to walk as well, he was about the age of your child when he start walking, or should I say running, everywhere.

Now, he is the fastest little boy around. I think he spent so many years unable to walk, now he only runs. However, he runs uncontrollably. We get a lot of exercise chasing him through stores, parking lots, parks. So, rest up, when he does walk, if he is anything like our little one, he will be running!

kathrynmlise
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM

My daughter wasn't walking independantly until her 5th birthday. She took her first steps about 4 months before that. At 3 1/2 she didn't look like she was EVER going anywhere! We even ordered her a wheelchair for the school bus (she was too heavy for a regular car seat). But then she got up one day and that was that. I couldn't believe it, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven!!

I do have a suggestion though. As soon as he gets up on his feet start having him use a walker. The PT at my daughters school did this and they loaned us one for home too, I think it helped her make the connection between her feet and her brain. And hey, I'm taller now, what can I get into? They also have those gait trainers. It's like a walker with a sling seat. If the school doesn't have one you can always find them used. Kids grow out of them and start walking so people get rid of them. We have an equipment exchange here in Seattle, you might be able to find a loaner where you live.

MomJJTwins
by Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I know it is frustrating!  Juliet walked at 2 years, 4 months.  Now, she walks backwards and tries to run away from me.  Her verbal is very slow, so there is always something.  What really worked for us was activity tables to motivate her to keep standing. Everynight, we walked her back and forth from my hubby to me.  It was just one step at a time, but she loved all the attention.  We did that for her twin, and probably like most other parents. But when there over 2 you forget you have to sometimes they have to be "babied".  

J03
by Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Hi there,

My princess is 2 today and not near walking or standing yet, she has very lax bum muscles which is what they need to stabilise the body for standing, we're working with a physio but as usal they will say well she's doing grand but we won't know when she'll walk, she has such a wide range in her hips that she bunny hops and while its great that she's moving around its no good for proper crawling or walking so we are fitting her for Happy Straps next week, they pull the legs together and make them crawl or walk a different way , google them, i know a few kids who's had them and they've worked wonders, i'll keep you updated, good luck

kalista
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I do think there's a very big range on the walking, and that some kids with DS don't walk til 5 or so but then they DO walk.  Hang in there and try not to compare your little guy to others who are walking (easier said than done, I know).  Focus on what he IS doing. 

SanDiegoMaxMom
by Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Does he have a gate trainer?  There was a little boy in Max's class last year that used this.....now he's in KG and walking.

oopiesmom
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM

It is frustrating I know but they do all walk at their own time. Oop walked fairly early 21 monthes . I have other kids and they walked at 10 monthes so there is no comparing. Then one day they just do and you are so happy you aren't sure wether to laugh or cry. I am always so proud at whatever ever he tries. Their successes are so much sweeter because they have to really work to accomplish their goals. Hang in there I can't say it gets easier but I am learning patience.

oopies' mom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)