Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know about ATLANTO AXIAL INSTABILITY of the neck ???

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 335 Total Views

Just found out today that my son has this, Not sure how to feel , has anyone eles know anything about this ?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mom2AidenW
by Group Admin on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Here is information

And here is a blog about a child with AAI/AOI  . Renee is more than happy to answer any questions you have.

SIS213
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

THANKS , Feeling a little better after reading some stuff.

J03
by Member on Jan. 21, 2010 at 3:44 AM

Hi Sis213,

My princess who's just turend 2 has been through this and in her case it turned into a c1-c2 sublaxation, 2 neck surgeries , 2 months in a head and body plaster cast and 4 months in a Halo cage she is doing brill, fusion held and just look at her now, please email me and i'll give you all the info you need, does your little one need surgery, if so what kind of surgery, will it be a fusion, its all very scary but after all my princess went through, to look at her now i'm so proud and anything that helps them has to be a good thing, in this pic she's only out of her HALO Cage for 5 weeks and is flying around the place and soooo happy, my email address is josephine.justice@gmail.com, please feel free to ask me any questions or any worries, i didn't know anyone that went t hrough this and it was daunting as it was all new and hard to see her in a HALO but you get used to it and she even went to Spain on her hols, HALO and All

mikesmom01
by Member on Jan. 21, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Michael has a 5.5mm gap.  I was absolutely shocked when we were told.  He walked at 16 months and sat up by 6 months so I never would have figured that he would have a gap.  I waited until he was 6 to have the x-ray done because I was told that any earlier was hard to read because they weren't developed enough.  In hind sight I would have done it earlier to check, we are fortunate that nothing happened.  We've changed a few things, no jumping into a pull to swim and no basketball because he would be looking up to rebound.  I atleast I know that if something changes with his walk or neck stability to move quickly to have it checked.  It's been 2 years and he is a typical boy and I can't stop him from wrestling with his brother or standing up while driving his quad (thankfully it only goes 8 mph! I can chase after him!!!).  Maybe at some point he will need intervention, we really don't know and each DR. is different in their methods of treatment.  

SIS213
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Thanks to all of you, my son is 13 and we are going to wait and see how things go ,we are still not sure what we want to do, he shows no sign of trouble yet we will watch him very close. We have seen 2 dr. and each of them say if it is not causeing a problem then dont act on it just yet. Going to see one more dr and see what he thinks.  Not sure what to think at this time, i am just going to pray on it and hope for the best.i will keep you guys up dated on this. thanks agan....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)