Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You're best tips please...IEP meeting

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM
  • 20 Replies
  • 906 Total Views

Okay ladies, I have an ACR meeting coming up and I'm so nervous! My daughter Shaina attends a special needs preschool, but I've found out more and more it's no good and they don't have her best interest in mind.

We are going for additional speech and ESY being our main pts of interest. I've been told the ST is just tooo swamped to give her more than the 20min ever 6 days state min.  DH and I think we have that one figured out.

Does anyone have advice on what to say to get the extended school yr services?  I've been teaching her colors, she's almost there so I was thinking I could say that. I've been told "unless a child has never uttereda sound and the child starts saying words, that's about the only time we do EYS." (director of te school) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kalista
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Wow.  We just had Nathan's first IEP.  They recommended 30 min of speech (individual or small group with 1-2 other kids) 2x per week.  And the recommended extended school year, right off the bat.  I aked for all the assessments in advance of the meeting and took the IEP home before signing it to review, and then I came in and signed it just as it was because I was happy with their recommendations.  I do know some California resources in terms of parent rights and advocacy but am not sure what state you're in.

kalista
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM

If you are on Facebook, there's a group about IDEA and IEPs with lots of links

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=47860105717

This is a PA site, but looks good, lots of links

http://www.elc-pa.org/

and a blog about IDEA laws

http://idea-law.blogspot.com/

punky121405
by Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Julia does get speech at school 2x a week with one other child.  She also attends extended school year, my understanding was that  an extended program was to help a child "maintain" skills.  I am not sure what your state regs are but you need to stay firm in what you want for her.  Phrase things as This is what she needs... not ...  I think she needs...  Be clear and state observations and reasons for why it is needed.  We had an outside evaluation done on Julia, our health insurance covered the cost, and it really helped to have someone who was just looking at what was best for Julia.  Good Luck, We have our meeting on Tuesday it can be so overwhelming... Stay strong.

jessicap79
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Thank you for the replies ladies. I'm happy for you and your children that you don't have to go through this kind of stuff.  Luckilly, we rent and may have to move before she starts K. DH and are are ready for a fight if that's what is needed. It's just so frustrating!

kathrynmlise
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I think so much of it depends on what State you live in. My little one doesn't quailfy for ESY. They said the only way they could get her in was if she just started talking when school ended. They have to prove the child would loose skills if they didn't go. BTW she's almost 6 and never said a single word. That doesn't seem to matter.

oopiesmom
by Group Admin on Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM

We are in the mire with you. Oopie is testing now. So I feel your pain. Hoping for the best for you and your little one. We are working with First Steps . Oops case manager is helping..speed skating

oopies' mom
jessicap79
by Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Quoting kathrynmlise:

I think so much of it depends on what State you live in. My little one doesn't quailfy for ESY. They said the only way they could get her in was if she just started talking when school ended. They have to prove the child would loose skills if they didn't go. BTW she's almost 6 and never said a single word. That doesn't seem to matter.

They pulled that with us last yr, I'm not allowing it this year. They have to prove she didn't lose skills. Do they have proof that she didn't regress?  Good luck to you! I've been reading up on Wrightslaw, I have an advocate and thank goodness the $$ is there if I need it.

jessicap79
by Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

That's great early intervention is helping you! Unfortunately our case is used in training for "how not to fail a family." At least others are getting help from our bad experience.  The day Shaina was born I told myself "I am way too stubborn not to get her what she will need and outspoken just enough." Well that time is here and I'm so nervous, it's crazy I have days where I'm so frustrated and days where I feel so positive and it's all over pre-school!

Here are the mistakes I made last yr, you probably know this stuff, but here it goes.

*I allowed the words "likely to be added" in the IEP (to temporarily shut you up, actually means no)

*I took the "cookie cutter" goals the school suggested which are way too broad to track accordingly. make sure your goals are precise and measurable!

*I didn't add the fact that Shaina communicates through signing-her teacher doesn't know sign language!!!???!!!

*I didn't keep good records and didn't realize the importance of asking in writing, her teacher told me things would happen, when I would check back, the director would tell me "I don't know what to tell you." seriously!

These were my mistakes, please don't make them yours, good luck!

Quoting oopiesmom:

We are in the mire with you. Oopie is testing now. So I feel your pain. Hoping for the best for you and your little one. We are working with First Steps . Oops case manager is helping..speed skating

angnjen
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM

There is a Parent Traiing and Information Center in every state per Federal mandates.  They can help you with any IEP questions you may have.  I work at the Parent Training and Information Center in Kansas and would  be happy to give you the number of the center located in your state.  With ESY services the IEP Team should be looking at the needs of each individual child and if your child regresses during the summer time you certainly could make a good argument for the need for extended school year services.  But again your local center can help you with all these questions.

Angie

SanDiegoMaxMom
by Member on Feb. 23, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I've been told the ST is just tooo swamped to give her more than the 20min ever 6 days state min.

This is not your issue, it's the school's responsibility to meet the needs of the kids.  IEP is INDIVIDUAL education program....emphasis on the I.  They need to do what they can to get your daughter up to par with where typical kids her age are.

Here is a checklist for typical kids about your daughter's age.  Unless she's on par, they need to provide resources to get her on par with her typical peers.

How Do I Know If My Child Is Reaching the Milestones?

Here is a checklist that you can follow to determine if your child's speech and language skills are developing on schedule. You should talk to your child's doctor about anything that is checked "no."

2 years Yes No
Knows about 50 words at 24 months.
Knows some spatial concepts such as "in," "on."
Knows pronouns such as "you," "me," "her."
Knows descriptive words such as "big," "happy."
Says around 40 words at 24 months.
Speech is becoming more accurate but may still leaveoff ending sounds. Strangers may not be able to understand much of what is said.
Answers simple questions.
Begins to use more pronouns such as "you," "I."
Speaks in two to three word phrases.
Uses question inflection to ask for something (e.g., "My ball?").
Begins to use plurals such as "shoes" or "socks" and regular past tense verbs such as "jumped."

3  years Yes No
Groups objects such as foods, clothes, etc.
Identifies colors.
Uses most speech sounds but may distort someof the more difficult sounds such as l, r, s, sh,ch, y, v, z, th. These sounds may not be fully mastered until age 7 or 8.
Uses consonants in the beginning, middle, and ends of words. Some of the more difficult consonants may be distorted, but attempts to say them.
Strangers are able to understand much of what is said.
Able to describe the use of objects such as "fork," "car," etc.
Has fun with language. Enjoys poems and recognizes language absurdities such as, "Is that an elephant on your head?"
Expresses ideas and feelings rather than just talking about the world around him or her.
Uses verbs that end in "ing," such as "walking," "talking."
Answers simple questions such as "What do you do when you are hungry?"
Repeats sentences.

Here's what's frustrating about being the parent of a child with Down syndrome.  If any other child in the community was exhibiting the same developmental delays at this age all the warning signs would be heeded.....ding, ding, ding....this kid is 3 years old and not speaking in three word phrases...we need to get her help.  Because your child has Down syndrome, the expectations are lower.  Do not let them get away with it.

GOOD LUCK!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)