Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you potty train a non verbal child?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2010 at 12:22 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 418 Total Views
My son will be 4 in May and I am thinking even though potty training will be a long process I should start soon. He is pretty high function in most everything but speech. I know he understands a lot more than I ever give him credit for and his receptive skills are better than his expressive. Lately he's been into taking his diaper off...all the time. I want to start potty training him but don't know how. I don't believe he understands what peeing & pooping is and he does not acknowledge them. So how can I get him to tell me when he has to go or even know himself when he needs to go? I know I can keep telling him & reinforce it but how will I know he even knows what Im talking about? He only knows signs for eating and things so far & I know he would pick up the sign for potty too. How do I know when he's ready? Or is it up to me to teach him & make him be ready? Any help or advice would be great.
by on Mar. 2, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
JJPsmommy07
by Member on Mar. 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Jonathon is 2.5yrs old and we started potty training last Feb 09.  He was non verbal then and still is not totally verbal.  The first thing that I noticed was that he was staying dry for a long long time - so long that I thought he was dehydrated. (he wasn't).  Then one morning I knew he had to poop so I quickly put him on the potty and he pooped. happyso from that day on we started potty training. When I started I just took him every hour. Let me tell you it is alot of work.  you really have to focus on him and pretty much forget everything else.  From waking up in the morning til going to bed at night.  My outside of the house errands, visiting or whatever ended up taking alot longer because I had to stop after an hour to go potty.  It has been well worth it, We have been potty training for over a year now.  Jonathon still does not tell me he has to go potty ~ maybe 5x ~ that's it.  I continue to take him, but he can hold it longer now.  I take him every 2-3 hours now, but if needed he can hold it longer.  When we are home he wears underwear now, once in awhile we may have an accident, but not many. naptime and bedtime he still wears a pull up.  I am hoping that over this next year I can get him to tell me, but he is doing awesome.

you can go to www.onestepahead.com and they have a watch you can buy that you can set the timer to go off to let your child know it's potty time.  I never got around to buying it and now it's no good for us, it only goes up to 90 minutes, Jonathon can go over 120 minutes now.  But it looked really neat.  I have a timer that I set at home and when it dings then we go, otherwise I just say lets go.  Good luck!

kathrynmlise
by Member on Mar. 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM

My daughter is non-verbal too. She will be 6 next month and I honestly hadn't thought about potty training at all until her IEP meeting when the teacher asked me if I wanted her to start at school. Since you aren't sure if he knows when he's going it seems like summer would be a good time to start. You can let him be naked and when he first starts to pee you make a big deal out of it and say, "oh! let's go potty!" or whatever and put him quickly on the toilet or potty chair. Then once he seems to know he's going then do it on a timer, every hour or 2. The other way you could make sure he knows what you're talking about is to let him watch your husband pee. My husband was so embarrassed, he wouldn't do it but when my older son was little we had a male roommate and he showed him. He got potty trained pretty quick.

Mom2AidenW
by Group Admin on Mar. 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

How well does he know sign language? Here is a website that has words for both "potty" and "restroom" http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

You'll have to click on either the P or the R and then scroll down to the word you want to use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)