• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Panel approves removing retardation from laws

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

Panel approves removing retardation from laws

Associated Press
05/26/10 12:50 PM EDT

WASHINGTON — A U.S. Senate committee has approved removing the words "mental retardation" and "mentally retarded" from federal laws.

The Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee on Wednesday passed Rosa's Law, a bill introduced by Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md.

The measure would replace the terms "mental retardation" and "mentally retarded" with "intellectual disability" and "individual with an intellectual disability."

The bill is named for Rosa Marcellino, a 9-year-old Maryland girl from Edgewater who has been diagnosed with Down syndrome. She worked with Maryland legislators to pass legislation in the state last year. The measure now goes to the full Senate for consideration.

AWESOME NEWS!!!clapping

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jjamom
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I'm so glad to see this Law go to the Federal level!

kmar901
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2010 at 1:44 AM

According to the examiner.com-detroit  June 26,2010  the U.S. Senate has approved the replacement of mentally retarded with intellecutal disability in federal labor, health and educational law. That's a step in the right direction. 

kmar901
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Rosa's Law is now a federal law.

mommame19
by Member on Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Thankgod, i constantly am correcting people and stopping them from using the word ''retard'' especially when it is used improperly at least i know schools and the law wnt be writing retarded on paperwork for him, even if i have to deal with dumb people in the world saying it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)