Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 358 Total Views

What is the best ways to potty train our little ones?  My girls was easy but i seem to be having a harder time with bj

Karen H
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jjamom
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I'm not sure there is any one way!  We are working on potty training as well.  All 3 of my kids have been so different (one girl, two boys).  With Alex, I try to have a lot of patience and understanding, and  praise heavily when he uses the potty.  The first few times he went on the potty, I had the whole family in the room clapping and cheering and telling him what a "big boy" he is!  He just yesterday tried the big potty again after being really afraid of the instability of it for a long time (even though I would hold him).  He asked to try it, so this was a big thing for him and again I praised him, even though he didn't actually go that time.  I try to make any attempt a positive experience.   He has had a lot of success with the potty chair before bath, changing times, whenever I notice he's been dry for a while.   I think for him, using a timer will also help, so I am going that route.   At school they have designated times for potty breaks (unless the children ask at another time - of course they can go at any time they need to).  We still have a long way to go, but we are getting there.

Good luck to you and BJ!

Huntersmom9905
by Member on Sep. 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I agree with jjamom! There is no any one way and we have been working on the potty training for a year now! Although this summer we started getting very consistent with it where before we would try it one day and not the next! I finally told myself this summer we need to work very hard at this and i have been and its getting better and better each day. Hunter has had dry pants all day yay! Hunter was afraid of the big potty until we bought this toilet seat that has a kids potty seat and  you lift the kids potty seat up and you have a adult  seat so now that he likes the big potty we use that and getting rid of the little potty chair! I put Hunter on the potty every hour and just set a timer so i don't forget. He peed on the potty tonight and we all were right there saying yay and clapping and giving him hugs and telling him good job and he was so proud of himself too! All that i have read on potty training and advice given to me is consistancy and alot of praise! Sorry not much advice but good luck with the potty training and if you have any advice to give with your potty training experience would love to hear about it.

VeronicaTex
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Gracie's doctor told me it had to be up to her to make an effort but unless she was making it an issue for herself.....She wouldn't do it, especially when I wanted it.  In other words words...I could coax, but unless she was interested...no success.

This may sound funny...but I noticed that modeling is an excellent way to get your Down Syndrome child to do anything.  It is amazing that they might only need once to see something...and they've got it.

Sooooo......could Daddy model-once in a while?

I, being the mommy, was very instrumental in what she could watch and then imitate.

What do you think? 

Praising is terrific!!!!  My girl still thrives on that for any situation!!!!!

MistyandZoesMom
by on Sep. 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

The three responses you have received so far are all "right on" in that there is no one magic formula just a lot of great strategies some of which may be more applicable than others for your son.  If you have any specific concerns now or in the future, I am sure there are several in the group who have been through them and can at least offer some ideas as to what proved helpful in their situations.  Try not to be too discouraged by lack of immediate results.

Andrea337
by Member on Sep. 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I have been trying to potty train Cadence for 2yrs now. She is finally getting the hang of it and starting to tell me she has to go. Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn't. If she goes she gets a high five, big girl all right, good job. If she doesn't go she gets no reaction. My sister just got her a disney princess potty ring that goes on top of the toilet seat and it has handles so she feels stable. That seems to be helping a lot, plus she can't get off the toilet like she could the potty chair. Today she pooped on the potty and she always says "uh oh" when she goes...pretty funny! The main thing is to find his "currency"....something that he really loves like stickers, m&m's...etc. None of that seems to do it for Cadence but the kid thrives on praise! My SIL potty trained my nephew who has autism by letting him see himself in the mirror while he was on the potty so he would know he wasn't going to fall in. She also would give him his favorite toy only when he was on the potty. Another friend used wet stop for her son that has DS. It is meant to stop bed wetting but can be used during the day as well. It has a little thing that goes in the underwear and the alarm goes off as soon as they start to pee. It helps to be aware of the sensation that is felt before they actually go potty! seems to help for them so far! Good luck...whatever you decide to do, make sure your consistent and offer lots of praise or some sort of reward and never punish for not going!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)