Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help......Crib to Bed.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 532 Total Views

Ok ladies it has been awhile.  But I would love to hear how you transitioned your child with ds from crib to toddler bed or twin bed and what age was your child?  My son Zach will be 3 the end of May.  Thanks ladies!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM

We kept my son in a crib until he was 5 years old.  I know that sounds old, but he was fine with it and he's still on the small side, so...  He also wasn't trying to get out on his own or anything.  We ended up giving him my other son's twin size racecar bed when we got him a new bed.  This has worked great, b/c with only a matress, instead of matress and box springs, the matress is set down in the frame so that he can't fall out.  He is big enough at this point to climb out on his own, but we have kept a baby monitor on in his room so we can hear if he gets up.  For the most part, he sleeps through the night just fine.  Occasionally he'll get up really early and I end up just getting up with him.  I'm attaching a picture of the bed, so you can see what i mean about the sides of the bed.  Whatever you decide, good luck.  If he is a good sleeper, he'll probably transition just fine!

In this picture, they have a box spring, so you can imagine without one, that the matress sits down lower within the bed, by about 6 or 8 inches.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

My son is five and still sleeps in his crib. We are now pregnant with our second, so I guess we will need to really focus on transition soon. Our son cannot stand or walk independantly yet, so I guess we haven't felt a rush to get him into a bed.

by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:10 AM
Ethan went from crib to bed easily. At almost two he began to climb and we needed to make the switch. His bed is a step two and has high sides and he climbs down the small ladder. He loves the large bed and somehow uses all of it. Good luck.
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM

We moved Wyatt from the crib to a toddler bed around 3 when he started climbing out of the crib.  It only took him a few days to get use to having the freedom to get out of bed on his own before he continued with his naps.  He is 5 1/2 and still sleeps in it.

by Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM

hi there. My son Zach just turned 3 a few weeks ago. He has just been transitioned to his own room, in crib. This was due to space issues (putting my two girls in one room), but also I can kind of use the excuse of his recurrent respiratory infections and h/o severe sleep apnea. I am also trying to figure out when to transition to a toddler bed. My girls were there at 2yo, but i just dont know. i know that was no help but I can identify with you.

by Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM

We also are going to use a blue race car bed to be lower to the ground and because he loves cars.

by Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM

My daughter transitioned herself to a toddler bed when she was 2.  We had put a toddler bed in her room for future use and one day she wanted to use it for her nap.  I was surprised how well she did and she seemed to real like it.  The next night she wanted to sleep in the bed for overnight.  We kept the crib up for a couple months - just in case, but she never wanted to go back to the crib.  I still have a baby monitor in her room, but she only gets out of bed when we come to get her. 

by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 3:10 PM

my son transitioned himself. a friend gave us a toddler racecar bed and we put it in his room. he always wanted to be in it so we let him and would move him to his crib after he went to sleep. eventually we just took the crib down. he wsa 20 months. he is 4 now and still has to have a bedrail or else he'll fall out :(

by New Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM

My son was 26 mo when we trasitioned him into his own bed. His bed is just the top bunk of our former bunk bed. (older brother got own room) It has railing and with just a mattress it's literally on the floor. He seems to get in with no problem but he usually waits to get out when we go get him. We like it because the brothers like to sleep with him and it is easy to get him to sleep if we lay in bed with him till he falls asleep. I have always rocked him to sleep and still do for naps but at bedtime I still like to sing him to sleep and in this new bed each night gets less and less songs. Mind you he is the baby and a cuddle bug. But the top of a bunk bed that we already had was just the answer for us!!

by New Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Thanks Ladies!  I appreciate you all helping me out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)