Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

advice

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 219 Total Views

i dont know what to do my son barrett aka BJ  (5) started school today i put him on the bus with his older sis trista (9) but he would not sit down this is the first day now the school wants to put him on the special needs bus but i dont want him on there. we treat him no different than our other kids and i feel like if we put him on the special needs bus we are going against  what we are trying to do which is to treat him normal. if i am wrong please tell me and what i can do to help him understand he has to sit and behave on the bus or how i can teach him so he can ride the bus.

Karen H
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jjamom
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I don't know, I have always ensured that when my son rides the bus (doesn't ride for school anymore, except ESY, but rode for all of preschool) that they had proper restraints. This meant that he rode the special needs bus (which all in his class rode for preschool). Last year in Kindergarten, I went on all field trips because I knew they would not have restraints. My little guy is not real stable and if the bus were to have to stop suddenly, I could just imagine him flying out of the seat. So, I sat with him and his friend to ensure he was sitting properly and if we started to brake, I would be at the ready to put my arm out and hold him back (as best as one could do). Maybe you could ask for an aide for the bus who could work with him on keeping him in his seat?
owenmom
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I would ask for an aide for the bus ride to and from school. I believe you can put it in to your iep for him. That is what i would do if my son had to ride the bus, but we live to close and he is a walker. If they go on field trips a teacher sits with him cause he is so small and can fly right out of the seat.

lulu03
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I understand that having a child with special needs we don't want to treat them any different from typical children. That said we also have to accept the fact that they do require special care and additional work. My major concern for my son was his safety and also the treatment from other kids on the bus. Putting him on a regular bus with all other kids wouldn't work becuase those buses are not equipt with the necessary restraints or attention that our kids require. Also there will always be that kid who will bully them or say something to hurt their feelings. Antonio has alway ride to school on a special needs bus. He doesn't feel different and I have a piece of mind that he is safe (of course you need to also monitor because I have heard horror stories). Antonio loves riding on the bus. He has always had good care from the driver and the assistant. Antonio has been on the special need bus since he was 3, he just turned 9.

momofbarrett
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you all for the advice it means a lot to me I will take it and make use of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)