Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding ?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 348 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I want so much to BF my baby girl. She is 11 days old and yes, she has Trisomy 21. She has a good suck but i was told her mouth is small and she is a little hypotonic. She has latched a few times but now im pumping and bottle feeding. She takes bottle well but my pumping is barely keeping up. Has anyone else bf their DS baby ? Did it take a while to get them to latch ? This is my 3rd baby and i nursed the others with no problem. Any advice please... She is so precious to me and i know she really needs my breastmilk.
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajs34
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM
The only problem I had was my son not swallowing fast enough and I always got soaked from what leaked out his mouth. I have Hurd that it can be difficult. At one point I switched to a bottle because he kept choaking when he went from breast to bottle. As long as she is healthy the little bit of breast milk is better than none.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
It was a struggle to BF my son with DS, but I did do it for about 5 mos. He was 5 weeks early, so I also had to supplement with high calorie preemie formula, but I always nursed first, then did the supplemental bottle.

One thing I found very helpful (actually a lifesaver) was using a nipple shield. It seemed to give him a better ability to latch on and stay latched on. I got it from my lactation consultant. Do you have a lactation consultant? I would ask about the nipple shield and also about a booklet I was given from LaLeche League on breast feeding a child with Down syndrome. If your lactation consultant doesn't know about the booklet, you could contact LaLeche League directly.

My son was also my third and I also BF my other two, but all were preemies and it was a struggle with all three, because I had to do the supplementing with all of them. Hang in there. I know it can be hard, but can also be so worth it. So, if you really want to do it, it is possible!
momalee40
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Quoting jjamom:

It was a struggle to BF my son with DS, but I did do it for about 5 mos. He was 5 weeks early, so I also had to supplement with high calorie preemie formula, but I always nursed first, then did the supplemental bottle.

One thing I found very helpful (actually a lifesaver) was using a nipple shield. It seemed to give him a better ability to latch on and stay latched on. I got it from my lactation consultant. Do you have a lactation consultant? I would ask about the nipple shield and also about a booklet I was given from LaLeche League on breast feeding a child with Down syndrome. If your lactation consultant doesn't know about the booklet, you could contact LaLeche League directly.

My son was also my third and I also BF my other two, but all were preemies and it was a struggle with all three, because I had to do the supplementing with all of them. Hang in there. I know it can be hard, but can also be so worth it. So, if you really want to do it, it is possible!

. I feel so helpless with her diagnosis that its like BF is the only thing i can really do.at this point to help her. She still tries to latch on but doesnt seem to be able to coordinate everything. She has a hard time w the bottle also, gulps it down most of the time and gets alot of air. I have tried 3 diff types bottles and nipples so its just her. But, she is being fed and gaining weight so i should be happy. I just miss that feeling of having baby nursing and snuggled up. I will never just prop her up w a bottle though.
Evana
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter had too weak of a suck to bf. She had a heart defect though so that was most of her problem. She didn't take a bottle well either. If there's  a breastfeeding consultant available, I would suggest that. But, I could never find one.

mommieto608
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:36 AM
I tried several times, she has a partial avsd so she tires, I do pump for her though. Keep trying and congrats.
mommieto608
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Did she have surgery?

Quoting Evana:

My daughter had too weak of a suck to bf. She had a heart defect though so that was most of her problem. She didn't take a bottle well either. If there's  a breastfeeding consultant available, I would suggest that. But, I could never find one.

Amy6034
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM

it took my daughter about 5 to 6 weeks to latch on and Breast feed.  i think she needed time to gain the strength and i never gave up trying.  Every feeding i tried to get her to latch on.  she would get really mad, but once she got did not want to stop.  I stopped BF at 17 months. 

momalee40
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM
[quote name="Amy6034" id="0"]

it took my daughter about 5 to 6 weeks to latch on and Breast feed.  i think she needed time to gain the strength and i never gave up trying.  Every feeding i tried to get her to latch on.  she would get really mad, but once she got did not want to stop.  I stopped BF at 17 months. 

[/quote. Thank you, i keep trying with her and she wants to but cant seem to get the idea of keeping her mouth open wide. Im having trouble with my supply also . I started taking Mothers Love supplement to try to help. She does so much better on the breastmilk, no spitting up or anything.
Evana
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Yes, my daughter had 2 open heart surgeries for a complete AV canal heart defect. 

dedicatedrider
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I breastfed my son.  It was a LONG road, I spent about the first month pumping and bottle feeding before we really got going well.  Even then, it always took him a LONG time to nurse.  At first, I was nursing for an hour every other hour, eventually he got nursing sessions down to 30 min., but it was definitely hard work for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)