Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Venting about School Again!!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 340 Total Views

So Julia is about to start preschool... I have had alot of trouble with getting her into a placement that works for jules and the school.  Because of the amt. of kids already enrolled in the program they are putting Julia into a small classroom of only 3 other kids with special needs.  I finally said that this would be alright as long as Julia would get a chance to visit the "Typical" classroom on a daily basis for circle time, activity, and outdoor time.   She will be starting on Jan. 5 so we went in to visit today and as we were sitting down for circle time the teacher looked at me and said "now she will not be visiting the class for this time of the day, there is no way she will be able to sit and listen to me"  I said " well we specifically stated that she was to come in for circle time as we feel it is an important part of her education" she then said "well who told you that" " No one ever told me about this, You'll see, just watch, she can't do this" " What is her name again?"  I was so upset I just wanted to scoop her up and run away with her.  Who is this Teacher that doesn't even know her name but already just by looking at her once thinks she knows what she is capable of doing!!!!!!!!!    I have never been so offended in my life... and isn't it her job to help Julia learn these things.. how will she learn if she's never given the chance too.

Thanks for listening again!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Som techers just DON"T need to TEACH !!

PM me any time ya wanna vent

I don't have a child withe Down syndrome but I do have 2 special needs children in school and it's a constant battle for me too....

by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Wow, I'm sorry the teacher was so offensive to you.  I can't believe the way she worded things and the fact that she didn't seem to make much effort to remember Julia's name.  I agree, I can't believe that she would make that judgement about whether she could handle it based on looking at her.  That is NOT right!  My son is 3 1/2 and is currently in a class for children with Developmental Delays.  There are 7 in the class right now.  My son participates in circle time everyday.  He goes to media once a week for storytime and sits on the carpet and listens.  In fact, we went to "Breakfast with Santa" and I know exactly where he sits b/c on two separate occassions, he went to the exact spot on the carpet and sat and faced the rocking chair where the librarian sits and sat there hands folded waiting.   In my area, ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) is specifically designed for students with developmental delay, so no "typical" children attend the school until they reach 4 y/o when they either go to "Pre-K" or the 4 y/o ECI class.   But, I was told that the 4 y/o ECI class does alot of activities with the Pre-K class.

Did you get it put into Julia's IEP that she would go to the "typical" classroom for circle time, etc.  I have heard that if you really want to make sure they do what they promise, make sure you get it in the IEP, b/c if it's in there, they are required to do it!

I hope you get it worked out where you are comfortable.  I would have been upset as well.

by Group Admin on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM

My advice is go higher. You need an unbiased opinion. Julia deserves what all kids need an education. She won't ever excel in a field of negativity you must try and try again. She has to be tested to her limits that means trial and error not assumtions we can all assume anything.I would not let this person work with my son. I have fired therapists and doctors for the same reasons. I expect Oopie to succeed at his time table, but it is always on my horizion. Sometimes being an advocate means stepping in and being a loud voice for those who have no voice at all. Stand your ground and remember you are her first and greatest defense. She is entitled to an education and it is her right to be treated like any other child if she is not it is clearly discrimination and that is wrong for whatever the reason.Hang in there and fight the good fight for her and I am here if you need anything..............

oopies' mom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM

What does she mean your daughter can't do circle time??? My son is 21 months old.  At his early intervention program they do a preschool class for the 1-2 year olds 1 day a week, and they do circle.  Nathan loves to sit and listen and watch.  They do songs and he does not sing but sways back and forth and pays attention!  He also goes to a private preschool/daycare center 2 days a week.  They do circle in his class (all 1 year olds, and there are up to 12 of them).  They are getting them used to the idea.  Nathan can sit and listen to a story or a song!  Jeez, how hard does this teacher think circle time is, anyway?  She sounds like she's judging your daughter based on diagnosis of DS and not on her actual abilities, plus it's not a fair judgment.  Nathan and his little same aged friend Adam both have DS and they do circle time.  I would think kids with some ADHD going on would have a real hard time sitting still on a rug for circle and paying attention, but I don't know why kids with DS would.  I think it depends on the child, of course, but it sounds like she's judging your child without even knowing her.  The teacher needs ot be thinking about how she can accomodate Julia in the classroom, and about what she CAN do!

by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM

You know best what your child needs and is capable of.  Don't EVER let anyone 'dummy' her down!  Stick to your guns and don't give in.  If you don't get anywhere with the school, go to the state's education ombudsman. 

by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:27 PM

OMG!! Do Not put up with that. My 4 1/2 year old has been attending preschool since he was 3 and he was integrated for playtime and circle time. He wasn't easy at first but he learned and the teachers did one on one time to help him sit there. She should never have said that. She may need help but that is what para's are for. (some are called teacher's aides).Go higher up in the chain of command even to her boss or that person's boss. I've been known to call the superintendant of the school district. Good luck. Contact me if you want.

by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Ugh. I am a lawyer and this stuff makes me cringe.  Luckily she is not in "charge" as much as she would like to think.   Definitely keep going up the ladder.  I would also either volunteer at circle time or have someone else in the room since this teacher does not seem capable.  My Juliet sits so nice for many activities and follows instructions better than typical children.  She loves these activities.  Ugh again.  I hate ignorance. Thanks for sharing.

by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM

O.k. how does this "teacher" ever expect her to learn "how to sit still."  That teacher is totally out of line.  That is what preschool is all about.  My son is now in kindergarten and he sits so well in circle time but he wouldn't be so well behaved if he had not been to preschool.  Don't let her get away with this.  Is there another classroom you could move her too?  I would go to the head of the school system if I had to and tell them exactly how she treated you.  Our children have to be included by law.  Oh my gosh...this makes me so mad.  I'm so sorry you were treated like that.  Keep us posted on what happens.  Merry Christmas!

by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Typical teacher reaction! Sad they got into this profession as their 1st reaction should be "Your child should learn a lot in circle time" not " well I am not going to teach them!

by New Member on Dec. 20, 2008 at 3:44 PM

that is just wrong i son is starting preschool in january and i made it clear that i want him to be in a regular class room. because i think it is important for them to interact with other kids and i will just change schools or talk to someone that could help u because u have rights and u could put a complain. well good luck and i just hate ignorant people that they dont even give them a chance

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)