Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about Hearing Tests

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM
  • 25 Replies
  • 571 Total Views

My son is 3 1/2 and has an appt on Friday to see an audiologist for a hearing test.  It will be his first since he finally passed the newborn screening at 3 mos.  I made the appt a month or so ago, but apparently, they attempted to test him at school and were unsucessful.  They sent a letter, which I received the other day.  I called today to talk to the nurse and she said that they weren't able to test him b/c he didn't understand the directions.  So...  I'm confused about the testing.   Can anyone tell me the different types of testing?  I hope they are planning to do something different on Friday, because I don't want to go all the way up there and be told that they can't do it because he doesn't understand the directions!  They have to have tests that they do that don't require a young child to follow a series of directions, right?  I mean, they did a hearing test on him at 3 mos (and younger).  I have also heard of a ABR or BAER where they are sedated.  Does anyone have any experience or advice they can share?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky121405
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Hi Julia has had her hearing tested every 6 mos since she was a baby.  She has no hearing problems, but  it was something that her dr wanted monitored.  We go to an audiologist, first we go into a sound proof room, in there they play music and different noises out of speakers on either side of her and they wait to see her reaction..,, If she's just not into it on that day they will do another test where they put some wires on her head and place a tiny thing in her ear that measures the sound waves in her eardrum.  I am not sure of the technical names, but Julia did not have to "understand" any directions.  Hope this helps!!

oopiesmom
by Group Admin on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Oopie had the same test at 12 monthes. They have all kinds of noises around the room and the kids instinctively follow them. They also measure with pressure in the ears. It doesn't hurt just measures how long it takes them to react to the air and how long it takes to reach the inner ear.We had his done at SMSU here as part of their graduate program. Oopie passed they can also tell if the ears have been damaged by infections some kids have chronic infections Oopie has never had one. It takes about an hour but it is worth your time.

oopies' mom
jjamom
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Thank you all for the explanations.  Alex is having the test done by an audiologist at Johns Hopkins in the same dept as his ENT.  I hope it goes well.  I'm sure they are used to working with toddlers (special needs, yes, but probably not their specialty). 

I decided to have the test done before the school sent home the letter that they couldn't do the test at school.  I decided b/c in June he had his tonsils and adenoids out and at that time, the ENT checked both ears and was going to do tubes if necessary, but he only found a small amount of fluid on one ear and drained it, the other was clear.  He said he didn't see a need for tubes "at this time" and recommended that we come in for a hearing test in 6 to 12 mos.  I made the appt for 6 mos because Alex speech is not as clear as it used to be.  His ST said it could be a variety of things, but of course hearing problems is one of the first things we want to rule out.  He hasn't stopped talking, in fact he's VERY verbal!  But his articulation isn't as clear as it used to be.

I'm just nervous about the tests.  Alex HATES anything medical which he has every right b/c he's been through so much.  So, he will freak if they attempt to stick something in his ear.  I will suggest they do that part last!  He will probably be fine in the room with me with the noises, etc.  So it helps to know that there will be parts of the test that he will most likely cooperate for!  Thanks so much.  I will let everyone know what happened after his appt tomorrow.

Mom2AidenW
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Aiden has had both a hearing screening (with all the noises in surround sound) and an ABR. The ABR is more in depth and generally the child will need to be sedated. However there are new ways of doing the ABR without sedating the child. (Aiden can't be sedated unless he is in the hospital being monitored by PICU.)

Group Admin. of Raising Children with Down Syndrome

Group Owner of The Little Light House CafeMom Group

MomofAnnaHope
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Hannah doesn't understand directions either.  She has NEVER passed a hearing test!  She passes on her right side, she will react with her eyes when they make the noise on that side, but she is parallized on left side, and does not react at all!  What they do, is let her go to sleep and put these wired attached to her forehead and do the test while she is asleep.  she passes that way.  But I still feel she does not hear well enough in her left ear!  And feel maybe she would learn to talk if she could hear better in that ear, she is 9 years old and non verbal.  Unless you consider saying Ba Ba Boom over and over again for bye bye, bread, or anything else she wants!

trevorsmom123
by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Hello there Michelle!

Trevor had an ABR testing at 12 mos and did not pass in his left ear.  My thinking on the ABR testing is not conclussive enough because Trevor moved throughout the testing and they don't sedate him during this.  Trevor has an appt at St. Vincents hospital on Jan 15th for the BAER testing.  There they will sedate him and I am hoping this will be a more accurate test   I will let ya know. But Trevor passed his hearing when he was born and doesn't act like he cannot hear.

Tammie

trevorsmom123
by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Now see I was informed that the BAER tesitng  was more accurate?  That is what Trevor's ENT said?  The ABR is where Trevor was not tested. What is the testing that is done where they put little tubes in his ears but is not sedated?

Quoting Mom2AidenW:

Aiden has had both a hearing screening (with all the noises in surround sound) and an ABR. The ABR is more in depth and generally the child will need to be sedated. However there are new ways of doing the ABR without sedating the child. (Aiden can't be sedated unless he is in the hospital being monitored by PICU.)

Tammie

Mom2AidenW
by Group Admin on Dec. 19, 2008 at 8:10 PM

That's the tympanogram.

Quoting trevorsmom123:

Now see I was informed that the BAER tesitng  was more accurate?  That is what Trevor's ENT said?  The ABR is where Trevor was not tested. What is the testing that is done where they put little tubes in his ears but is not sedated?

Quoting Mom2AidenW:

Group Admin. of Raising Children with Down Syndrome

Group Owner of The Little Light House CafeMom Group

trevorsmom123
by Member on Dec. 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Ok Stephanie thanks for the  clarification! I was totally confused LOL way to many words for hearing test!

Tammie

jjamom
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM

LOL!  Alex passed the "tympanogram" on the right ear, but he wouldn't sit still/stop crying for the right ear, so they gave me "inconclusive results".   Please do let me know how it goes for you on the sedated test.  Same for Alex, he passed the newborn testing (by three months) and it seems like he hears pretty well, but I just feel like hearing issues is one thing that we need to rule out in regards to his speech development/articulation.

Quoting trevorsmom123:

Ok Stephanie thanks for the  clarification! I was totally confused LOL way to many words for hearing test!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)