Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about lump after heart surgery

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 6063 Total Views

This is the first time I have ever put a question on here.  I am pretty new to this sight.  I have such little time to do stuff like this.  Anyway, this has been bothering me for a while.  My son with DS, Joey, is now 1 year old (birthday was 12/3).  He had heart surgery the end of May, so he was just about 6 months old.  He had an ASD and VSD repair.  Well, I guess to get in there they break open the chest - then they glued him - it is about 4" long from just under his chin which is I guess the top of the sternum.  Right where his scar starts, there is a big lump - they told me that it should go down.  Well, it has been 6 months and it hasn't at all.  It is his bone - the top of the sternum.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It is not little, either.  My sister just came to visit and seemed to be shocked over it.  Please tell me if anyone has gone thru this and did it do the same thing?  It seems to me that it should have gone down by now - it really bothers me.   If you have gone thru this, did you do anything to try to go down - I was thinking to wrap it??  Of course I would ask the doctor first, though.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Group Admin on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:27 PM

It is very common. My son, Aiden (now 28 months), had his surgery at 5.5 months and also has the "heart bump" as we call it.

Basically, it is where new bone has grown around the wires holding his chest together. As he gets older, the bump should be less visible. However there are cases where another surgery has been required to shave down the over growth.

Group Admin. of Raising Children with Down Syndrome

Group Owner of The Little Light House CafeMom Group

by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Wyatt had surgery almost 2 years ago.  He also had the bump.  It has gotten better but it is still there.  We have a friend whose bump never went down and he will be having surgery to remove it. 

Raylene D.
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Well, my son didn't have OHS, but had a heart repair of a very large ASD by cardiac cath.  The left side of his chest bone is larger than the right side.  I asked the cardiologist about it and it is her belief that because he had an enlarged right ventricle for so long, that his bone grew that way.  He was 28 mos before they repaired his heart, so it had plenty of time to do that.  But, to be honest, I never noticed this distortion until after his heart repair.  His is a little less noticeable now.  I'm not sure if it's because he's grown, or because his bones are still "young" enough that they are still forming and may readjust. 

In your son's case, I'd definitely bring it up at his next cardiology visit and see how long they want to wait to see if it goes away on it's own, before they decide to try to correct it.

by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM

My daughter is 15yo and had Her heart repaired at 7mo.  She still has this bump on her chest.  It isn't as noticible now since she's a "woman" as it was when she was younger.  MY guess at the cause for her was even tho she was in restraints, she still rolled over only a several hours after her heart surgery and I think she shifted the bones a little....whatever.  Physically she is fine.  It does no harm, it just sometimes hurt me when I held her and her bone pressed into mine!

by Member on Jan. 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM

My son had OHS last Feb when he was 6 months old and also still has the heartbump.  It is not as noticeable as it was, but it's still there(or we just got used to it).  Some members of the family do not like it, but it's not a big deal. It is supposed to go down gradually as he gets older. Pretty much it is a cosmetic issue. We will not have corrected surgery for this.  Nothing is wrong, Jonathon just has a special bump that reminds us everyday how lucky we are to have him.  I wouldnt worry, but if you are ask your doctor about your options.

by New Member on Jan. 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM

My daughter Irelynn had  open heart surgery at 3weeks on April 25th of 2008 and had complications post surgery so her bump was not noticeable right away.  Irelynn's bump is at the bottom of her sternum.  Before discharge, her surgeon Christopher Knot-Craig (brilliant doctor) said that the sternumcan heal sometimes poking out.  We as her parents are more bothered by it than she is.  It doesn't seem to bother her at all even during her floor time and she is all over the place.   Irelynn is now 9 months old and so far doing great.  If your still worried call your son's cardiologist and talk to them or make an appointment to talk, but from what I was told this does happen, relax.

by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Here are some pictures of our son Blake with a "heart bump"  3 1/2 weeks after surgery. Apparently this normal??  Blake was born Nov 14 with DS and had a complete AVSD repair.

by New Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Our son Nathan had the same surgery when he was 5 months old.  He also had a bump that did not go away.  His bump was not bone, it was a mass caused by some sort of reaction he had to the wire in his chest.  He had to have surgery at 10 months old to remove the wire and the glob, as his doctor referred to it.  His surgeonsaid she saw this problem about once a year.  I would have him checked out just to make sure everything was fine.  Even after surgery he still has a bump. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)