Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions for food

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 269 Total Views

Juliet is a very difficult eater. She turned 2 in November.  I make many meals for her and try to shape it as a cookie.  She loves to eat bubbles and paint!  I just tried Chik'n Nuggets by Morning Star-it is a veggie patty and she loved it!  She looks at food like it is poison.  I would love suggestions by moms of toddlers of what to feed them!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
punky121405
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM

My Julia is very picky as well!!!  When I give her something new she spits it out and makes this awful noise like I have just poisoned her!  I have begun to trick her, Her two foods she likes are mashed potatoes and pasta with red sauce.  So I have been putting jars of baby food like carrots or peas into the red sauce,  so far it has been undetected.  Sometimes I can hide small pieces of chicken in the mashed potatoes.  Good Luck!!!!!!!

kalista
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Does she have texture issues?  We're working with an OT on texture and it has been helpful.  Nathan (22 months) has a failrly rare intolerance to most proteins, which greatly limits what i can feed him, and then there are numerous things he won't eat at all because of the texture.  Basically he likes things completely crunchy (Cheerios, graham crackers, toast) or completely smooth (Gerber purees or applesauce).  I've been working with the OT on adding wheat germ for texture to the purees (he seems okay with wheat protein) and slowly building up to adding more of my homemade puree to the Gerber.

I'm wondering if your daughter has any texture issues or if there is any food that makes her feels bad (a sensitivity or an allergy) so she doesn't want to eat.

austinsmama1106
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 7:36 AM

My son just turned 2 in November also. He is actually a really good eater but he has his days where he won't eat anything. He loves to eat bubbles too, I thought he was the only one! Here are some things Austin likes: cheerios (he would eat them all day if we let him), pancakes, eggs (but only when we eat them too),  french toast (sometimes), gerber crunchies (he goes through 2 cans a week), chicken nuggets, PB&J (no crust), mac and cheese, grilled cheese(no crust), cheeseburgers, spaghetti, anything with ground beef (tacos, sloppy joes), mashed potatoes, stuffing and anything chicken. He's picky about veggies, I usually end up mixing them with the potatoes or mac and cheese. He loves bananas but no other fresh fruit, he will eat the fruit cups with pears, peaches or madarine oranges, he loves applesauce too! Hope something here helps with ideas!

heaven-boys.jpglove-being-his.gifttc.gif

oopiesmom
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:30 AM

We start everyday with Yogurt. Oopie loves it. He is a good eater we don't have texture issues. He likes his meat in a gravy though, we have no problems with fruit or veggies except green beans refuses them. He loves beans though refried, baked , pork and beans. So they are all a little different.We had trouble with chicken and turkey at first, but now I mix it with his veggies and he has less problems.

oopies' mom
Lovechild82
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Kimber has always been a great eater..so i can't say i relate.  But i would love to give you some of her favorite foods to maybe give you an idea of some different foods to try.  Kimber loves her instant oatmeal for breakfast...everyother day or so she does get spoiled and gets a pop tart.  Her absolute new favorite snack is trail mix she wakes up asking for it in the morning and after her nap.  She would rather have that or a piece of fruit anyday over cookies or fruit snacks.  Again i am very lucky heh. For lunchs you can give her anything and mix it with maybe a teaspoon of ketchup and she will eat it right up.  Her cousin use to be picky with foods too till i gave her mom a sugestion of maybe coating the food in her favorite dip and she has been a great eater for her ever since. I like to stick with ketchup though cuz it is very low in calories and fat free :) Her new fav for lunch also is those lil chicken dunker things from lunchables they have chicken apple sauce and gram crackers...everything gets dunked into the apple sauce when she eats it heh. Dinner is difficult for us since she has a milk allergy but her favorite dinner is a corn totilla fried then patted to get the excess oil off then pulled into pieces her size with some ground beef and some kind of vegie on the side again she used to not eat brocolli but we put a lil ketchup on it and she gobbles it right up heh. Again you have to find that miricle worker for your kiddo.  For Kimber she will eat anything and the things she won't eat put a dab of ketchup and walah!  With her cousin it is ranch that is the savior.  Hoe this gave you some ideas ooooh also since kimber was about that age or a lil older she LOVES to eat with a fork and absolutley refuses to eat anything if she can't do it her self we are still going through that I think it is defiantly the age.  Also if you are worried bout the nutritients your lil one is getting give her her daily multivitamins....walmart has a choice of gummi ones that Kimber loves loves hers is the princess gummies :)

Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

cmartin956
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Hey, I'm just aslucky.  My Katie eats everything too!  But my oldest, she is so picky.  For her, ranch dressing is the key.  She would put that stuff on anything.  But now that she is older, I can force her to eat most things, with the promise of a cookie.  But when she was smaller, we would make her food into shapes and let her decorate them.  The only meat she really eats it chicken.  So we tell her that pork is chicken, and that flavored water is juice.  But now she likes water.  Good Luck!

MomJJTwins
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Thanks everyone.  Juliet eats what everyone is describing.  It just seems like she should have more variety.  I also use a snack pack (which I finally found at Toys R Us after looking there for close to 1 1/2 years) for cheerios, raisins, m&ms, nuts, and she can eat at her own pace.  She also loves mini bagels with peanut butter or jam or plain.  She loves yogurt and applesauce but no fruit or veggies (except celery).  I will try the gummy vitamins - great idea.   I am just grateful Juliet is eating since she would not eat anything.  

Cook's Illustrated new issue has a great method of making french toast and it works!

Thanks ladies! 

SeeCadysMomRun
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Cady used to eat anything I would put in front of her. Now, she has become quite picky. Her favorites: pizza, tacos, spaghetti, sandwiches, hot dogs, etc. Last night we had meatloaf and I gave her ketchup for dunking and she ate it right up. I've noticed she also likes the sauces, so if I give it to her with BBQ sauce, ketchup, ranch, etc, the greater the likelihood she is going to eat it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)