Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toxic Mold & Birth Defects?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 1252 Total Views

Hi, everyone!  I was just wondering if anyone here has ever looked into the cause of their child having Down Syndrome?  I always knew that there was some mold in our (rented) home and we have asked our landlord several times to replace our floors, but he always has one excuse or another... blah, blah, blah.  But we recently had our 5th major sink leak and one of our walls kind of caved when we were cleaning up ( a 3 inch hole) and I can see black colored mold inside.  I've read that black mold can cause birth defects.   I wish we could move but for now it's just not a possibility.  The ironic thing is that when I was pregnant with Jacy my husband told our landlord that he needed to have the floors done because he would home him responsible if anything happened to the baby.  I didn't think this would happen.  I'm not lawsuit happy and I wouldn't trade her for the world, but sometimes I think about "why".  Any thoughts?-Kim

by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MommaOfT21Girl
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I am not sure, but this made me think back to when I got pregnant with my daughter, who has DS.  We had been living in a rented house for 6 1/2 months when I got pregnant, and there was mold in the basement.  I'm not sure what kind, but it makes me wonder now if the mold caused my baby's DS. 

I will do some research, cuz now it will bug me!!!

oopiesmom
by Group Admin on Apr. 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Oop's ds is genetic I was the carrier,my Mother's side of the family has markers. My daughters will be tested. I have a cousin with Ds.Check your family lines as well.

m

oopies' mom
kalista
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I've never heard of this.

The mold would basically somehow have to make your chromosomes (or your husband's)sticky, so that at conception when the cells were dividing 2 of somebody's chromosomes # 21 stuck together.  Normally we get one form dad and one from mom.  In DS our kids get 3 total instead of 2.  I don't know of any studies showing that an environmental factor contributes. 

Princess_Sarah7
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 2:19 AM

I haven't heard of this before either. I asked about 4 different docs when Angel first got diagnosed with ds, they all said the same thing. Most of the time it just happens and they don't know why. The docs were all surprised that Angel had ds because I had just barely turned 25 when I had him, but there is always a chance. Sometimes it can be genetic, Angels is not, but if someone else in your family has it that might be why.catbutterfly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)