Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swim lessons

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:51 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 255 Total Views

Hi all,

Summer's almost here and every year I put my kids in swim lessons. I have a 7 1/2 year old, a 5 1/2 year old, Judah, who has DS, will be 3 end of June, and then Naomi is 8 1/2 months. I'd like to put Judah into swim lessons but I'm not sure he could go into a normal full class. Have any of you given your child with DS swim lessons? And if so, how'd you do it? I'd love to do a Mommy and Me class, but I have the baby too. And do any of you have any suggestions when we go the city pool to hang out, how to I handle a baby and one with DS who isn't a fan of the water, but is interested? I thought about wearing some sort of Bjorn to carry the baby but I don't know if that'd really work. Any ideas on lessons and how to do the pool with two "babies". :) Thanks so much.

Mindy

by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommaOfT21Girl
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM

my daughter is almost 18 months and we are expecting another in august, so I will have a similiar issue with the baby and stuff.  But Lauren loves water so we've been thinking about taking her to the Y.  It's just so expensive, and I really hate swimsuits!  We're looking into doing some of her physical therapy at the pool (and elsewhere) as she has decided she doesn't want to cooperate at home anymore.

I guess I would maybe try lessons for awhile and see how he does.  He may end up liking it.  As for a 'normal' class, I don't know.  We wanted private lessons for Lauren, but they are twicw as much as regular lessons.  How does he do at the pool usually?

My t21 Girl!        My Unborn Girl!

My Blog: http://raisingmylolo.blogspot.com !!

moojester
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Well he LOVES the bath. But the pool last year he had just turned two which can be tough even for kids w/o DS. But he clung on to me for dear life. I just want to keep introducing him to the idea, not forcing anything but I want to get him used to the water. I've been trying to find like twin floating devices or something but am having a hard hard time. I just email my friend who has twins to see if she has any ideas. I'll try to pass them on if I hear anything useful. Good luck with your newby. What a special bond your kids will have. All four of mine do, each is different and beautiful. :)

Mindy

SanDiegoMaxMom
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 6:39 PM

One of the wetsuit companies makes a water carrier like a bjorn.

We take Max to a facility that is only set up for lessons.  The entire side (not shown) is a seating area/steps where the kids wait for their lesson.  He swims year round....here's a pic from Friday:

mikesmom01
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Hi Everyone, I love that picture of Max!  Michael has taken swim lessons individually.  We have group lessons I just didn't feel he was strong enough swimmer or listener to follow the directions and unfortunately he is not allowed to jump into the water with the spinal gap, but he absolutely loves the water.  I put a "swim Jacket" you can get them at target, walmart, there not that expensive, just a little less bulky than a life jacket, then I get a regular blow up tube and literally shove it around the life jacket to keep him feeling that he is higher than the water and not afraid, especially when he was little.  Now he moves around crazy in it, He also can swim with just the life jacket, but with the other kids I still have him wear the tube most of the time. It gives me the opportunity to watch the other kids without worry that he would get away from me and as with you, mine are now 3,5,7,9 so I definately know having others to watch in the pool is hard enough. 

moojester
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Sweet sweet picture of Max. How fun.

trevorsmom123
by Member on May. 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Our Trevor who just turned 2 May 10 was in swim lessons last month.  HE absolutely LOVES the water and shower.  He fights me to get out.  He is not walking yet so I know this will be a challenge when he does!  In regards to how to handle having 2 babies not sure my oldest is going to be 6 so I don't have 2 babies at the same time.  Good Luck and have fun this summer!

Tammie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)