Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your positive experiences with Developmental Preschool?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 363 Total Views

I know that it is good for Ali, but I could really use some encouragement...It is so hard for us to send a 3 year old to school when I am at home!baby dust

Sincerely,

Rose Yanez

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomJJTwins
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I understand your pain.  I am sending Juliet starting on August 25 for 2 mornings and keeping the typical home.  I cry thinking about how she cannot tell me if anything bad happened to her.  I started to have dreams that I pick her up from school as soon as I drop her off.  I know she needs more and hope this helps her but I really do not want to let her go at all!

Winter711
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM

My little guy will be starting next Thursday.  He is 2 and will be going Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2 and half hours a day.  It is a private preschool and he is the only child in his class that has delays.  I met with his teacher and her assistant and they are sooooooo excited to have him in their class and made me feel really excited for this experience as well.  At first I was going to stay with him for the first month but after our meeting and seeing him with the teachers and some of the other kids I will not stay in the beginning but will volunteer later in the year.  I think that this will be great for him and me as well to really see where I need to focus his support for different skills.  I now realize that I am not around other 2 year olds and only talk with PT's OT's and Speech professionals about him and I have lost some perspective on just being a 2 year old!!  I hope your experience goes well.

kimsardo
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Brandon was eligible at 18 months. I sent him at age 2. 5 days a week 4 hrs a day.  It was the best thing for him.  He learned how to interact with children, school routine, all kinds of things. Oh, and the art they bring home is worth it right there!  Brandon LOVES school. He is 6 how.  It was good for us. 

kathrynmlise
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM

At 3 years old I put my 2 on the bus and waved good-bye! It was so hard!! But! They loved it! They both graduated last June and start Development Kindergarten in 21 days.

BTW it took me 10 minutes to respond to your post because I was so busy admiring the picture of your doll baby! OMG she's cute!!!

kimsardo
by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Oh, yes and Brandon went on the bus at age 3. He loved it. 

For the person who asked how much it was part of our early intervention program regional center pays for it but we are in CA. 

AuntGranny
by Group Owner on Aug. 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Nathan started last year the day after turning 3.  He loves going and even during break he would bring me his shoes and backpack, he wanted to go to school!  He has gotten so much out of being with other children around his age and the teacher and staff!  Can't wait until next Thursday when he sees the bus again.  After the 27th of September he will go FT. (I have a list of things to do to stay busy)

Carol

owenmom
by Member on Aug. 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM

We sent our son at 2 for preschool and daycare. He has loved it ever since. He has learned so much going there i would never do anything different. He just started in July the IU through the state that is only 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hrs. He is doing well with that too. I believe the social interaction and watching other kids is a great benefit for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NWqjEHL4Ro

This is a video of Owen in the center from his Christmas play last year at school. Owen is the youngest in the class only 2 1/2 in this. Hope this helps to see what an impact going to school early really does do. Good luck.

Jen mom to Owen

MomJJTwins
by Member on Aug. 19, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I love that video of Owen and saw before.  Amazing! 

I live in Bedford County, VA and the preschool is through the school system so it is free.  You have to have many meetings but the process is worth it to get her started into the school system.  1 week and she is off.

Mom2AidenW
by Group Admin on Aug. 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Aiden attends a private developmental preschool, but we love it!

jessicazeksmom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Zek is in his third year of PreK and he loves it. Everyone at the school knows him. Most days he tells me bye when we get to the school. Personally I started helping out at the school so that I was close to him (just in case). Now I'm doing Substitute Teaching at the school and helping out any of the teachers that need it.

I think it has helped him with being around "typical" children. He copies them and wants to be like them. He now goes to the bathroom by himself, he cleans up his toys and area when he's done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)