Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling discouraged. . .

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 315 Total Views

I'm sorry for this being so long!

Sometimes, especially right now, I feel like giving up. I started as a photographer over eight years ago. I worked for a studio where my boss taught me everything he thought I needed to know. We shot with film back then. I did weddings and studio work. I thought my stuff looked pretty good, but knew I wanted to improve. My boss started another studio and had me be the main photographer for his old one. I loved working in the studio. I got married in 2004 and we moved out of state. I did occasional work on the side for friends, but concentrated on work (which had nothing to do with photography.) Well, eventually I started having more and more people asking me to do their photos. It was mostly friends and coworkers. (I was still shooting with my faithful Nikon N65 & N80 (film) cameras. I wasn't really interested in starting a business just helping others out who needed a photographer.

In 2007 I had my son. I loved doing his pictures and I really wanted to get a DSLR. I was still shooting with my SLR (film).  Because I had so many cute ones of my son I had a lot of requests for pics. I finally got my DSLR in Aug 08 - a Nikon D80. I wanted the same version of my film camera, so it would be a smooth transition.

I am having such a hard time adjusting to this. Also, I am also realizing my former boss didn't teach me nearly enough about my camera. He always shot in program mode outside - never manual mode. We only used manual mode in the studio.  I cannot figure out how to shoot in manual or program mode outside with my DSLR. I could at least shoot outside with my film camera. I've read books, joined CF groups, researched online, read my manual over and over again. Everything I shoot outside still tums out like crap!!! I can't get clear crisp photos. They are all slightly grainy and sometimes dark.

I'm even having difficulty with my new camera when using my strobes inside. I cannot get my white backdrop white for the life of me. I'm having to edit all the time!!v I hate it and am ready to hang it up for now. It's just that I have so many friends and people who have been referred by my friends.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just feeling discouraged! I don't want to spend all of my free time editing. ! I want to get it right straight out of the camera! Don't even get me started on photoshop! I am clueless when it comes to actions.

I swear I need a tutor or something to make me understand how this all works.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

KariMackPhotography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mumiofalitleman
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Don't give up there are plenty of us here that can help... I love editing, however I too have been told film is much eaisier to get the shot print and be done...White backgrounds are a pain in the tail anyways! I hate them too! Were here for you post all the questions you want we have all been there at least once!

Kari777
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Thanks, honey! :o)    Wow! It's amazing how many typos you make when you're ranting. I need to go fix those. :o) Oh - I may ask some questions soon. It's just that for as long as I've been doing this I feel stupid and like I'm starting at the beginning again. Ugh!

Quoting mumiofalitleman:

Don't give up there are plenty of us here that can help... I love editing, however I too have been told film is much eaisier to get the shot print and be done...White backgrounds are a pain in the tail anyways! I hate them too! Were here for you post all the questions you want we have all been there at least once!

makrogurl
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Do you have the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson? If not, it's a GREAT book and will really help with trying to shoot in manual. He makes it really easy to understand.

Do you have any photos you could post (with the settings) so maybe we can help you out and see what you are doing wrong? That would help us help you. :-)

Don't get discouraged. Digital is a whole different creature than film and takes some getting used to. Hang in there and keep practicing. It'll get easier!! 

mumiofalitleman
by Group Admin on May. 25, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Not a problem I learned from here a group called shooting in manual for dummies, there is a book too, I think. Several people I know also learned from that group. You sign up you do the steps and viola!

Quoting Kari777:

Thanks, honey! :o)    Wow! It's amazing how many typos you make when you're ranting. I need to go fix those. :o) Oh - I may ask some questions soon. It's just that for as long as I've been doing this I feel stupid and like I'm starting at the beginning again. Ugh!

Quoting mumiofalitleman:

mommybutterfly
by Group Admin on May. 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM

DONT GET DISCOURAGED!! We can help! i've not been shooting very long at all (well, not seriously)...just since nov. of last year with my dslr...so i crammed as much knowledge as i could into my head at the same time!! We can answer questions...there ARE NOT STUPID QUESTIONS! and even pros have questions from time to time.

the group manual for dummies is AWESOME!! it was all sounding like greek to me until i joined that group...then it all clicked and i totally understand it!

Brooke Baird Photography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Kari777
by on May. 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Thanks gals! I'm in the manual for dummies group. I just need to take some time to myself and really focus. I also have the book Understanding Exposure. I think I always have so much going on around me I can't focus and therefore do not retain what I'm reading or learning. I'm trying to squeeze in some extra practice time, too. It doesn't help that I work full time, but I'm glad it is staying light out longer. I'll post some practice shots soon.

Thank you all so much. :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)