Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Choosing not to breastfeed

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 371 Total Views

Wow am I thankful to have found this group and to see that there are others like me. I have already been told that I am a bad mother for not breastfeeding. I am 19 years old and have to work and will be returning to school soon, breastfeeding was not something that I thought would be a good situation for my daughter. And all the research that I have heard or read on breastfeeding pros I just don't buy...here we go

1.) Bonding- I have bonded with my daughter perfectly well, the baby will natually bond during feeding no matter if it is breast milk or formula, and this way I am not the only person that gets to take part in this wonderful bonding experience

2.) Smarter babies?- Really? What ever happened to hard work and dedication?  I'm not buying it at all.

3.) Health- I was a pre-mature baby, I was not breastfed and I am perfectly healthy today. My daughter is growing at a better and healthier weight than people I know who have breastfed.

Anyways the only thing I want to say is why is it that I am considered a bad mother for not breastfeeding? I would never do anything to hurt my daughter, she is my world just like any other mother. I would never judge another mom for the personal choices she has made. And my heart goes out to all of you that have chosen to not breastfeed or whom can not breastfeed due to other complications...We are all still good moms and I'm thankful that we have each other to talk to about our difficulties.

by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2ljh
by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I agree, I'm a good mom.  I do believe my son could have been smarter and healthier, were he breastfed.  They're facts and I'm not going to try to discredit them.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

bablondie
by on Nov. 8, 2008 at 1:48 PM

The breastfeeding nazis say stuff like that...pay no attention. You made a choice and you shouldn't feel bad about it just as a breastfeeder makes a choice and we shouldn't make them feel bad. We have choices, this is not the 1200's anymore, we have formula and other options, so I am thankful for that.

I feel I bonded with my kids more with the bottle, b/c bfeeding just simply frustrated me and my child and was super stressful for me.

jbirchard
by on Nov. 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM

i love the term breast feeding nazi haha very funny.i have two healthy boys who are soo smart and great, both were formula fed, and i have never regretted it.

Quoting bablondie:

The breastfeeding nazis say stuff like that...pay no attention. You made a choice and you shouldn't feel bad about it just as a breastfeeder makes a choice and we shouldn't make them feel bad. We have choices, this is not the 1200's anymore, we have formula and other options, so I am thankful for that.

I feel I bonded with my kids more with the bottle, b/c bfeeding just simply frustrated me and my child and was super stressful for me.

jbirchard
by on Nov. 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM

my kids are sooo smart and healthy, and i formula fed both. i am proud i am a mother, and i think my kids are awesome, i dont think they would be any better due to breast feeding.

Quoting mom2ljh:

I agree, I'm a good mom.  I do believe my son could have been smarter and healthier, were he breastfed.  They're facts and I'm not going to try to discredit them.

mrsgunsage
by Member on Nov. 18, 2008 at 12:23 AM

My daughter was formula fed due to necessity.  I never produced a single drop... and oddly enough it didn't bother me to give her formula once it became apparent there was no way to breastfeed.

We decided that instead of trying to force it like we did with my daughter that we're just formula feeding my son from the start.  It was a LIBERATING decision. 

Lacto Nazis can scream how horrible I am all they want.  My daughter is healthy, no allergies, no asthma, no reflux, no mental issues... and at 2 years old it is already apparent we're going to have to have her assessed for gifted programs when she is school aged.

A nation that kills it's own children, is a nation without hope. --- Pope John Paul II

hot_mommy007
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:42 PM

i tried it and it literaly was driving me insane... i dont care how many health benifits it has.when you want to kill yourself becuase you feel smothered by your offspring, its not good for yopu...

babybaby development
stace217
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM
I chose to do the same thing. I was 17 when I had my first daughter. I was a senior in high school and there was no way I was going to be able to breast feed. I had to be able to go to school while my mom watched her. I couldn't breast feed. I needed all the help I could get and that included people helping me feed her. I didn't have time to pump either. I had homework and a Job to get to. Maybe you can breast feed once at the hospital after giving birth? That first milk is packed with nutrients and antibodies for your baby. There's no denying the benefits. I didn't do this with mine, though I wish I had. She still turned out perfect regardless though. It's a personal choice and no one should be judged upon it. :]
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)