Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Splenda

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am sad to see Cafemom letting a company like Splenda advertise on their website. This company is owned by a company named Tate & Lyle. Tate & Lyle chose to tell their employees in May that their plant (the only operating plant for making Splenda) would be closing starting July 31, 2009.  My husband had worked their for 10 years. The CEO decided to take an American company with american workers over seas to Singapore.  This is just another tradgedy that we as Americans are allowing to happen.  The company moves over seas putting americans out of work taking money from our economy and we still rush to buy their stupid products.  We can only blame ourselves.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
firenicecream
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I'm sorry that happened to your husband and I understand your frustration. However, I don't feel that Splenda or their product is stupid. I don't know their situation so I can't vouch for why they did what they did. So while they may have taken jobs and given them to people overseas they are obviously supporting an American company called CafeMom. I appreciate that because without companies supporting CafeMom I would not have the sanity that I need. Also, I have tried the Splenda product and quite frankly I like it. I don't know if your husband has a job now or not but I hope that things are going well for you. =)

grandmatomandm
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I didn't know about this. I was a Splenda user but i WILL NOT PURCHASE IT ANYMORE. and i will tell everyone I know not to use it.

momtoezzie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM

What's wrong with globalization?

Christina96
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Not to pick a fight, but companies can be more successful overseas because of all the government rules, regulations, bs, and taxes.  I hate to see Americans losing out on jobs, but I can see it from the bottom line of a company.

.Josie.
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I'm very sorry for your husband's job situation, but Tate & Lyle isn't, nor has it ever been, an American company - it's a British company.  I have diabetics in my family who love that Splenda is derived from (and tastes like) sugar - for them, this product has been wonderful.  I am not diabetic but I use it because I like to watch my refined sugar intake.  Good luck to you and your family. 

Quoting Bamagigi:

I am sad to see Cafemom letting a company like Splenda advertise on their website. This company is owned by a company named Tate & Lyle. Tate & Lyle chose to tell their employees in May that their plant (the only operating plant for making Splenda) would be closing starting July 31, 2009.  My husband had worked their for 10 years. The CEO decided to take an American company with american workers over seas to Singapore.  This is just another tradgedy that we as Americans are allowing to happen.  The company moves over seas putting americans out of work taking money from our economy and we still rush to buy their stupid products.  We can only blame ourselves.

cmlkb
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I also have diabetics in my family and although I primarily use sugar, it's ggod to have a substitute on hand. There are other options out there, even if generic, which I use instead because of things like this as well as price, and by law the generics must be the same active ingredients, so little if any difference. What other brands are available varies by your location so you may have to research the company providing an alternative to see if they too are primarily produced overseas. Unfortunately, I believe it is getting harder and harder to find things strictly made in the USA.

I'm sorry your husband lost his job, I do hope he's found another and you are all ok.

RosieCheeks64
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

All 3 of my parents are diabetic. I was recently tested and thankfully I'm not but I watch my sugar intake because of the genetic issues. I watched my granny give herself insulin shots for years. My parents all use Splenda. My step mother bakes w/ it all the time. We like the product but I will do some research and try to find a suitable substitute. I understand businesses looking after their bottom line but I also believe as citizens of this country we need to support American businesses, when we can. So if I can find an American producer of a good sugar substitute, they will get our business. I hope your husband has found a job & if not I hope he finds one soon. Best wishes to you and your family. 

paisleypaint
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I was going to say this. I am sorry for your family PP but there are lots of us right now with no income to support our families. Without sponsors we wouldn't have CM.

Quoting .Josie.:

I'm very sorry for your husband's job situation, but Tate & Lyle isn't, nor has it ever been, an American company - it's a British company.  I have diabetics in my family who love that Splenda is derived from (and tastes like) sugar - for them, this product has been wonderful.  I am not diabetic but I use it because I like to watch my refined sugar intake.  Good luck to you and your family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)