Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crock Pot recipes

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone have any they'd like to share? Especially any that involve boneless beef short ribs (since that's what I want to try and make)! But any are good, just tired of the same old stuff in there!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brighteyes112
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I don't have one but there is a group on CM called crockpot moms...they might have what you're looking for =)

JessieAtHome
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Try this group! I LOVE it!!!

Latte Land PinUp

tashntim
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Awesome! thanks :o)

cmlkb
by on May. 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I had some problems with the wiring to my oven a while back and started using the crock pot for EVERYTHING! I made turkey breast complete with stuffing and potatoes, think of it as a slow oven almost...I do pulled pork, stews, almost any kind of meat...It's a lot more versatile then I realized, and costs so ;ittle to use compared to an oven

melissa920
by on May. 27, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I love making bbq pork, ribs, chicken in mine.  It turns out so juicy and tender.   I also slow cook a whole chicken in mine too. I stuff it with apple slices, oninons and celery.  Very yummy.  You can also put a pork tenderloin in with a bit of water (or broth) and seasonings.  So good.

faithmerrill
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM

White Chicken Taco Chili 

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 can chunky Rotel (with juices)
    1 can Bush's Butterbeans
    2 cans White Northern Beans
    2 cans Chicken Broth
    1 can of Mexicorn
    1 capful of Mexene chili powder seasoning
    2 packets of taco seasoning
    several cracks of chili garlic sea salt

Directions

Take one can of white northern beans and puree to make the chili thicker. 

Add chicken to the crock pot (I used frozen, right out of the freezer). Add the bean puree and then all of the other solids. When you add the Rotel, add the juice as well. 

Add both cans of chicken broth, plus at least 2 cups of cold water. Stir everything together and then add the taco seasoning mix. Stir, then add the mexene chili mix and the cracked salt mix. 

Turn the crock pot (slow cooker) on high for at least 6 hours... I have a true old slow cooker, so mine doesn't cook as quickly as the newer models. When I get home in the afternoons, I usually turn the heat to low and let it simmer until we're ready to eat. By then, the chicken will be extremely moist and tender and will just shred finely with a fork. 

I didn't know whether to make chili or taco chicken soup, so I did both and I think it turned out well. My husband loved it. Not too spicy either. We added fat free shredded cheese and fat free sour cream when we were ready to eat it.
or for a good vegetarian dish there's 

Taco Style Lentils and Rice

3/4 cup dry lentils 
    3/4 cup dry brown rice 
    4 cups water 
    4 beef bouillon cubes 
    2 teaspoons chili powder 
    1/2 teaspoon cumin 
    1 teaspoon onion powder 
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

In a 2-quart saucepan bring the water to a boil. As the water is heating, add the oil, lentils, rice, bouillon, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bring the whole thing to a nice fat boil. Reduce the heat to low. Place a lid on the lentils and allow the mixture to simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes. The water should be mostly absorbed. You may serve this as is, or topped with a little cheddar cheese if desired. 

* If you are having a busy day and don't have time to cook this on the stove, it can cook in the crock pot on low for about 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 hours instead. 
BjFuller
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I make my chicken and dressing in mine. You do as you would in the oven but in the crockpot instead. You do have to bake your cornbread in the oven first though.

tashntim
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM

thanks ladies! I love pulled pork and beef stew in the crock pot. I ended finding a yummy beef short rib recipe! the leftovers were even better today for lunch

jridgill
by on May. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I love crockpot moms on cafemom!

Angelgirl25
by on May. 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM

i make a really good chicken broccoli thing in the slow cooker (or oven depending on my mood lol)

take 1 pack of 3 boneless/skinless breasts, cube them.

3 small-medium heads of broccoli (or 2 if large), cut into bite sized pieces (i use the stems too, just make sure to peel them until you are left with the white-ish centres)

use 1/2 a container of sour cream, 1 can of cream of broccoli soup (mushroom works good to in a pinch), 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, mix all together (you can use mayonaise or miracle whip instead of sour cream but i personally don't like the taste that much in this recipe)

season with curry to taste, then mix the chicken and broccoli into the sauce, put in the slow cooker on low for about 5-6 hours (or if using the oven, spread into a casserole dish and cook at 375 for about 1-1 1/2 hours. (until the broccoli is done)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)