Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all experienced herb gardeners PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a young basil plant...it's stems are turning brown ...not the good wood kind of brown.  BUT not all of the stems are affected only some of them...can I save the plant?  I now know I was over watering but is the plant doomed???

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cajunflowerchik
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I killed a cactus once..... if that makes you feel any better. What does PIOG mean though?

SweetyPiesG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Usually the first signs of overwatering are leaves turning yellow, then dropping off, and finally a wilting in the stems of the plant.  Overwatered plants show stress on the perimeter (leaves) of the plant first. The brown color might either mean it's dying or has another ailment. Are the leaves still on?

Some plants can recover from overwatering. I was desperate enough once to repot a plant into dry unwatered soil and it did survive. But that was not planted in the garden.

Underwatered plants have a better chance of recovering than do overwatered plants. Too-dry will wilt all over and plants in a pot need to be watered then allowed to stand in water for about 20 minutes and the turgidity (uprightness of plant due to sufficient water in its cells) will soon return.

But I wouldn't bet that your basil will recover. Annuals are more sensitive to watering conditions than perennials are.

cmlkb
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I wish I could be of help, but I've had horrible luck with growing basil indoors. Outdoors it's done beautifully though.

tashntim
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Quoting cajunflowerchik:

I killed a cactus once..... if that makes you feel any better. What does PIOG mean though?

I think it means Posted In Other Group

pattie14
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:06 PM

im sorry dont get mad but i cant help myself, maybe your plant wants coffee?  just playing, i hope your plant will be alright.

bookworm23
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Hey maybe that is the problem I should be giving it water not coffee that might explain the stem turning brown.

Quoting pattie14:

im sorry dont get mad but i cant help myself, maybe your plant wants coffee?  just playing, i hope your plant will be alright.

bookworm23
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM

that is what I meant so I hope PIOG means posted in other group.

Quoting tashntim:

Quoting cajunflowerchik:

I think it means Posted In Other Group

bookworm23
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I tried it outdoors and that is where all the trouble started...it wouldn't stop raining so the poor plant got soaked and cold.  And of course basil likes sun and dry...it still hasn't stopped raining.

Quoting cmlkb:

I wish I could be of help, but I've had horrible luck with growing basil indoors. Outdoors it's done beautifully though.

pattie14
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM

your to funny!! thanks for being silly .

bookworm23
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

It actually looks awesome tonnes of new growth.  But see I had two of them and the one already died and now this one is showing similar signs.  Only a very few leaves have turned brown but the stems where those leaves were also turned brown and icky not all the way through.  The plant is currently not over wet and looks fine it is just that I see these small spots on 2-3 of the tiny stems and am worrying it is the beginning of the end.  Keep wondering if I should hack these areas off or just leave the poor thing alone.  Maybe in a month when the weather finally improves I'll spend another $2 and get myself a new one!  BUT you know it is a matter of pride $2 or not I want to be able to save THIS one!  All my other herbs are flourishing!

Quoting SweetyPiesG:

Usually the first signs of overwatering are leaves turning yellow, then dropping off, and finally a wilting in the stems of the plant.  Overwatered plants show stress on the perimeter (leaves) of the plant first. The brown color might either mean it's dying or has another ailment. Are the leaves still on?

Some plants can recover from overwatering. I was desperate enough once to repot a plant into dry unwatered soil and it did survive. But that was not planted in the garden.

Underwatered plants have a better chance of recovering than do overwatered plants. Too-dry will wilt all over and plants in a pot need to be watered then allowed to stand in water for about 20 minutes and the turgidity (uprightness of plant due to sufficient water in its cells) will soon return.

But I wouldn't bet that your basil will recover. Annuals are more sensitive to watering conditions than perennials are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)