Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Creative Christmas ideas

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm looking for some creative ideas for buying or making inexpensive gifts for Christmas. Any ideas?

I've been doing quite a bit of knitting. My comp is slow so I can knit while I play. Click, knit a few stitches, click again...Used a comp at the libraray the other day and it was SOO fast I barely blinked between clicks. I'm envious of anyone who can play on a comp like that

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beckie66
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM

You can buy a box of matte finish ornaments and a silver Sharpie.  You or your kids can decorate the ornaments with the Sharpie and give them as gifts.

More ideas are here.

http://www.sharpieuncapped.com/default.aspx

cmlkb
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Cool! Thanks. My youngest is 13, and probably not into that sort of thing, but my grandchildren would love it.

Knit2Purl2
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 6:45 AM

For adults, knit & felted coasters can be lovely. Pair it with a mug and tea or hot chocolate, or a bottle of wine!

steveiguana
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 6:03 PM

for not too much you can go to a kiosk at cvs and make a photo collage and buy a frame at the dollar store. These are great gifts you can do it at home but I find the cost to be better on ink and correct photo paper by printing them there and that way if it doesnt come out you are out nothing. Also extra care card members get great offers and sometimes bogo during the year.

cmlkb
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Quoting Knit2Purl2:

For adults, knit & felted coasters can be lovely. Pair it with a mug and tea or hot chocolate, or a bottle of wine!

Funny you should mention that.Coasters, or mug rugs, are one of the smaller gifts I've been knitting. I've never done the felting thought, which may have been a good idea. I'm thinking it might add just a bit of stiffness to the coasters, but I like the ones I've done. I;ve also done sets of placemats, scarfs, gloves, wash cloths. No really big projects this year. I usually pair a smaller knitted item with related gifts, maybe in a basket. may do a few quick ornaments too.

cmlkb
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Good idea, thank you! I didn't realize that if it didn't come out you didn't have to pay. Good to know. I wonder if they do the same at Walgreens. There's one of those closer then the CVS, but I shop at both and have the extracare card.

Quoting steveiguana:

for not too much you can go to a kiosk at cvs and make a photo collage and buy a frame at the dollar store. These are great gifts you can do it at home but I find the cost to be better on ink and correct photo paper by printing them there and that way if it doesnt come out you are out nothing. Also extra care card members get great offers and sometimes bogo during the year.

dixiecharmer
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I bought some baskets at the dollar store last year, filled with pine cones (city park free) and glass ball ornaments, mixed in a small string of lights that run on batteries.  Wrapped the handle with ribbon I found at Hobby Lobby on clearance.  This made cute table center pieces that did not cost much.

SweetyPiesG
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Hey I'm back for a quick visit and couldn't resist coming to the forums.  So nice to hear holiday thoughts.  And C, I have suggested to my daughter this knitting project:  a tea cozy for your tea drinkers.  I have always used a sewn cozy made from quilted fabric but I'll bet a tightly knitted one would be sweet!  And you could weave a ribbon about an inch down from the top (lid area) to gather and tie into a bow to keep it in place.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.  Hope all looks good for a great New Year.

cmlkb
by on Dec. 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM

I Like the basket idea Dixie. A festive centerpiece sounds good to me. I could use one myself.

Sweety, SOOO good to hear from you. Are you busy with your creative endeavors? Hope so, and would love to see your work. A tea cozy sounds good too..

Just finished knitting 1 leg warmer which I started this am and knit while playing. (Only way I can justify spending time playing is if I do something else simultaneously. Still an addict

cmlkb
by on Dec. 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Finishing up all my knitted gifts. I left a lot of finishing work to do, like weaving in ends for multicolored projects, sewing seams. Ugh, spent hours yesterday and still more to do. (I hung out in LL for a lot of that time) I think another time it would be best to do the finishing work as I go along.

I find I always want to do more then I manage to get done, but am learning to start eliminating unneccesary things, especially as I get down to the wire.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)