Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Find the references :) - For MTW players

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM
  • 4 Replies

Figured while we were all waiting for energy, we could play a "game"

Tngrandma revealed little references that I thought were so well thought out..so share the referencees. Yes, we've already seen them, but it'll waste some time anyways.

One I thought was cool : Belding Brew - LOVE Saved by the Bell

Also, another that Cafemom Team told me : Getting the MJ Fox Frappe recipe from the Baseball Coach is a reference to BTTF where Biff was betting on baseball because he had an almanac from the future

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tngrandma
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:47 PM

These are the first two I thought of, the ones I had told Tangleballlover.

I suspect the 70s Mom gets the Bicentennial Brew (hello, the Bicentennial was in 1976, the year I was married)

I also suspect the 50s MH Gossip gets the Suburbia Surprise (the 50s brought a large influx of people to the suburbs, you mght say it was the beginning of suburbia, think Levittown, Long Island, New York, major planned community in the rural area of Long Island)

Having lived through the 50s, 60s and 70s, I found many references that hit home, you might say.

Free Love in the 60s hippie movement actually started in late 60s.

GI Joe of course referred to the use of the term GI in World War II in the 40s, hence the 40s School Principal would give it.

The 50s were epitomized by Happy Days.  My sister actually had a poodle skirt - LOL - and going to the soda shop for a float, be it root beer or whatever, was the "in" thing to do.

Dragnet with Jack Webb was mandatory watching on TV in my family.  I can still hear Jack Webb's gravelly voice telling me  the names were changed to protect the innocent.

Bootlegging was popular during prohibition in the 30s.

Then, there is the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B, I think the Andrews Sisters sung it in the 40s.  We had the record on 78 rpm in the 50s.  Many turntables don't even play 78s any more, but I remember them on our old Philco phonogragh (yeah, phonograph, not stereo, just plain monaural).

Being a grandma in close touch with her grandchildren (Heck, they live upstairs), I am used to the flannel boards they use, so  flannel flakes from the SAHD sounds appropriate.

Whew - that was a mouthful.  I'm closing for now, giving someone else a chance to add some.

hugs

SabrinaL
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Ummm Whats a flannel board?

tngrandma
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Flannel boards are used a lot in Sunday school and Vacation Bible Schools, as well as home schools and pre-schools.

They are easel type boards covered in flannel, with small pieces of flannel cut into shapes that are just flopped onto the flannel board.  It could be various shapes, or in the case of Sunday School, churches, people, Noah's Ark, animals, stuff like that.  The flannel pieces cling to the flannel easel board and it is easy for the kids to put them on and take them off, no glue, no sticky stuff to get all over, and it is complete reusable.  Lots of fun.

Does that explain?  If not, let me know.

Thanks.

grandma

SabrinaL
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Quoting tngrandma:

Flannel boards are used a lot in Sunday school and Vacation Bible Schools, as well as home schools and pre-schools.

They are easel type boards covered in flannel, with small pieces of flannel cut into shapes that are just flopped onto the flannel board.  It could be various shapes, or in the case of Sunday School, churches, people, Noah's Ark, animals, stuff like that.  The flannel pieces cling to the flannel easel board and it is easy for the kids to put them on and take them off, no glue, no sticky stuff to get all over, and it is complete reusable.  Lots of fun.

Does that explain?  If not, let me know.

Thanks.

grandma

Oh Ok.  I should have know that.  Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)