• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You Looking for Java Bucks - Step Inside **CLOSED**

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

**** REOPENED for 5000 JB, the first poster to tell me what game or sport is done in october in Ville Platte LA as part of the Cotton Festival? And Why is Rayne in Ripley's Believe it or Not?

Ok, so here is the deal.  I don't have much JB, but I have been playing a few games and won or got participation prizes.  So I am going to return the favor. 

I will give 2000 JB to the first person who...

I will give 1000 JB to the second person who...

I will give 500 JB to the third person who...

Research two towns.  The first is Ville Platte, LA (where I grew up) and the second is Rayne, LA (where I live now).  You must post one fun fact or bit of history about each town to win the JB.  The second and third posts cannot have the same facts, history, town info, etc.  Each post must reflect something different. 

Have fun and Google away!!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
__bcnp
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Popular legend states the founder of Ville Platte was Marcellin Garand, an adjutant major in the Army of the French Empire, during the time of Napoleon.

Rayne is a city in Acadia Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 8,552 at the 2000 census. It is nicknamed the "Frog Capital of the World", as well as the "Louisiana City of Murals".

RosieCheeks64
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM

You're a faster googler LMBO! I love that frog capitol tidbit!

Quoting __bcnp:

Popular legend states the founder of Ville Platte was Marcellin Garand, an adjutant major in the Army of the French Empire, during the time of Napoleon.

Rayne is a city in Acadia Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 8,552 at the 2000 census. It is nicknamed the "Frog Capital of the World", as well as the "Louisiana City of Murals".

PiscesMommy021
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM

The area around Ville Platte appears to have been first settled during the last half of the eighteenth century, when Louisiana was under Spanish rule. The earliest record of settlement in the immediate area of Ville Platte was in the 1780’s.

RosieCheeks64
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM

The culture in Ville Platte is primarily Cajun & Creole 

RosieCheeks64
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

See? I was goofing off & was too slow again LOL!

Quoting PiscesMommy021:

The area around Ville Platte appears to have been first settled during the last half of the eighteenth century, when Louisiana was under Spanish rule. The earliest record of settlement in the immediate area of Ville Platte was in the 1780’s.

__bcnp
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Lol that freaks me out ! I imagine if I go there, I'd see a whole bunch of Frogs jumping around and all the people of Rayne just acting like it's nothing while I'm freaking out !

Quoting RosieCheeks64:

You're a faster googler LMBO! I love that frog capitol tidbit!

Quoting __bcnp:

BridgetSG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Just gave __bcnp 2000 JB, waiting for the rest!

ArmyWife_MomX2
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Rayne,LA real estate house value index trend

For population 25 years and over in Rayne

• High school or higher: 60.8%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.7%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
  • Unemployed: 8.3%
  • Mean travel time to work: 26.4 minutes

For population 15 years and over in Rayne city

• Never married: 27.4%
  • Now married: 50.1%
  • Separated: 4.2%
  • Widowed: 9.1%
  • Divorced: 9.2%

46 residents are foreign born

This city:   0.5%
Louisiana:   2.6%
BridgetSG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM

BUMP

ArmyWife_MomX2
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Rayne-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Louisiana state average. It is 120% greater than the overall U.S. average.

On 11/7/1957, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.8 miles away from the Rayne city center killed 4 people and injured 10 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.

On 4/4/1952, a category 3 tornado 9.4 miles away from the city center injured 10 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.

Rayne-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Louisiana state average. It is 100% smaller than the overall U.S. average.

On 12/20/2005 at 00:52:20, a magnitude 3.0 (3.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 93.2 miles away from Rayne center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG)

Birthplace of: Mike Heinen - PGA Tour Golf player (born: 1/17/67).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)