Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fun Facts...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:56 PM
  • 17 Replies

Share a fun or interesting fact that most of us probably don't know....

It takes about 63,000 trees to make the newsprint for the average Sunday edition of The New York Times. 

4.5 pounds of sunlight strike the Earth each day

A rainbow can only be seen in the morning or late afternoon

In 1998, Sony accidently sold 700,000 camcorders that had the technology to see through peoples clothes  (this one made me laugh)

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyWife_MomX2
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

i always find these interesting stupid laws that are STILL on the books

All lollipops are banned. 

A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town." 

It is illegal to paint polka dots on the American flag. 

People may not buy a mattress on Sunday.

All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle.

It is illegal to pretend that one's parents are rich.

One may not spit on a bus.

When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.

You cannot buy meat of any kind on Sunday. 

It is illegal to attach a vending machine to a utility pole without prior consent from the utility company. Furthermore, if permission is granted, the vending machine may not be less than twelve feet from the ground. 

No person may walk about in public if he or she has the common cold 

Destroying a beer cask or bottle of another is illegal. 

It is illegal to entice girls away from the Maple Lane School for girls.

X-rays may not be used to fit shoes. 

Men who deflower virgins, regardless of age or marital status, may face up to five years in jail. (Auburn) 

You may not shuck peanuts on the street. (Bremerton) 

Dancing and drinking may not occur at the same establishment. (Lynden) 

You may not carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length. (Seattle) 

Women who sit on men's laps on buses or trains without placing a pillow between them face an automatic six-month jail term. (Seattle) 

No one may set fire to another person's property without prior permission. (Seattle)

TV's may not be bought on Sundays. (Spokane)

Strippers may not come closer than four feet to any customer. (Spokane County)

No structure shall contain more than two toilets that use potable water for flushing. -San Juan County Ordinance NO. 7 -1995 (Passed June 7,1995) (Waldron Island)

You may not ride an ugly horse (Wilbur)

Artistachica
by Java Mod on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM

seriously???

Quoting blueflamz:

It takes about 63,000 trees to make the newsprint for the average Sunday edition of The New York Times. 

In 1998, Sony accidently sold 700,000 camcorders that had the technology to see through peoples clothes  (this one made me laugh)

momoftwomandm
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM

People who drink coffee are less likely to commit suicide than people who don’t.

momoftwomandm
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Did you know there are more than 300,000 fast food restaurants in the U.S. Why is fast food so popular? Because it is convienent, predictable, and fast. Fast food has become a part of the busy American lifestyle. But, nutrition experts point out, fast food is often high in calories, sodium, fat and cholesterol. This does not mean fast food is bad. But it does mean you should fit fast food into a balanced, healthy diet.

momoftwomandm
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM

The record for the most extras in a movie is believed to be more than 300,000 extras who appeared in the funeral scene of “Gandhi,” the epic film directed by Richard Attenborough, which was the 1982 Oscar for best picture.

momoftwomandm
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Alaska is the most earthquake-prone state and one of the most seismically active regions in the world. Alaska experiences a magnitude 7 earthquake almost every year, and a magnitude 8 or greater earthquake on average every 14 years.

ReekaJean
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Breastmilk changes its nutritional content based upon the time of day, germs that the mother has come in contact with (flu and cold viruses and the like) and the age of the baby! The nutritional content in the milk that a toddler with a cold gets is vastly different than that of a newborn in the middle of the night. :D

I think thats AWESOME!

KaysMom06
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:01 AM

LOLOLOLOLOLOL ohhh man!! these right here.. these are great! lololol!!!!!! hilarious!! good job! haha

i have a few comments id like to make...

Quoting ArmyWife_MomX2:

i always find these interesting stupid laws that are STILL on the books.. they are mainly for certain states, though, right? And seeing from Seattle, ill guess this state is Washington State.. let me know if im wrong lol!

All lollipops are banned. -- what the heck!? lol!! there will be a lotttaaaa candy companies in trouble for this! lol!

A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL good luck getting that to happen!

It is illegal to paint polka dots on the American flag. - lol oooookkkkkkk

All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle. -- LOL!!!! whats this from? the 1700's?? oh my!! lolol!!

It is illegal to pretend that one's parents are rich. -- lol this one just makes me giggle.. its like.. WHAT?? haha!!

One may not spit on a bus. -  ok, gotcha, no spitting on bus

When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed. -- lolol!!!! now this one made me stop for a minute and be like.. HUH? lol!!! neither shall go until the other has passed?? theyre going to be waiting a lonngggg time lol!!! just sitting there, waiting for the other train to move. haha!

It is illegal to attach a vending machine to a utility pole without prior consent from the utility company. Furthermore, if permission is granted, the vending machine may not be less than twelve feet from the ground. -- lol ummmmm....

It is illegal to entice girls away from the Maple Lane School for girls. -- lol! oh my! what the heck! haha!! another one that makes me go.. whaaattttttt

X-rays may not be used to fit shoes. - oh no? lol i never thought they did..

Men who deflower virgins, regardless of age or marital status, may face up to five years in jail. (Auburn) -- another one that made me stop for a minute... men cant deflower virgins.. even if they are married to one?? wow! well.. there will be a lot of unhappy men and a lot of virgins around!! haha wow!!

Dancing and drinking may not occur at the same establishment. (Lynden) lol so i guess that means no clubs are allowed? isnt that what they do in clubs?

You may not carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length. (Seattle) -- ohh ok.... not over SIX FEET.. ok.... lol

Women who sit on men's laps on buses or trains without placing a pillow between them face an automatic six-month jail term. (Seattle)

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH what in barts farts!!

No one may set fire to another person's property without prior permission. (Seattle) good idea lol

TV's may not be bought on Sundays. (Spokane) oh my

No structure shall contain more than two toilets that use potable water for flushing. -San Juan County Ordinance NO. 7 -1995 (Passed June 7,1995) (Waldron Island)

You may not ride an ugly horse (Wilbur)-- but what if i think its pretty and you think its ugly?? lol

ohh man!! these were gooodddd!! so funny and it made me think a lil too! haha!

KaysMom06
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM

lol lets hope no one still has one of those...

Quoting Artistachica:

seriously???

Quoting blueflamz:

ArmyWife_MomX2
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Yeah these are from WA state....the lovely stupid state i live in....the one about the flags behind and in front of the driver i think that one should be enforced....except the law should read all stupid drivers should have to drive on the shoulder not to exceed 5 mph with a flag that says stupid driver coming in the front and a flag in the back that says stupid driver going....which means there would be like 8 people on the road the rest of WA state would be driving on the shoulder with the flags, LOL!

Quoting KaysMom06:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL ohhh man!! these right here.. these are great! lololol!!!!!! hilarious!! good job! haha

i have a few comments id like to make...

Quoting ArmyWife_MomX2:

i always find these interesting stupid laws that are STILL on the books.. they are mainly for certain states, though, right? And seeing from Seattle, ill guess this state is Washington State.. let me know if im wrong lol!

All lollipops are banned. -- what the heck!? lol!! there will be a lotttaaaa candy companies in trouble for this! lol!

A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL good luck getting that to happen!

It is illegal to paint polka dots on the American flag. - lol oooookkkkkkk

All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle. -- LOL!!!! whats this from? the 1700's?? oh my!! lolol!!

It is illegal to pretend that one's parents are rich. -- lol this one just makes me giggle.. its like.. WHAT?? haha!!

One may not spit on a bus. -  ok, gotcha, no spitting on bus

When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed. -- lolol!!!! now this one made me stop for a minute and be like.. HUH? lol!!! neither shall go until the other has passed?? theyre going to be waiting a lonngggg time lol!!! just sitting there, waiting for the other train to move. haha!

It is illegal to attach a vending machine to a utility pole without prior consent from the utility company. Furthermore, if permission is granted, the vending machine may not be less than twelve feet from the ground. -- lol ummmmm....

It is illegal to entice girls away from the Maple Lane School for girls. -- lol! oh my! what the heck! haha!! another one that makes me go.. whaaattttttt

X-rays may not be used to fit shoes. - oh no? lol i never thought they did..

Men who deflower virgins, regardless of age or marital status, may face up to five years in jail. (Auburn) -- another one that made me stop for a minute... men cant deflower virgins.. even if they are married to one?? wow! well.. there will be a lot of unhappy men and a lot of virgins around!! haha wow!!

Dancing and drinking may not occur at the same establishment. (Lynden) lol so i guess that means no clubs are allowed? isnt that what they do in clubs?

You may not carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length. (Seattle) -- ohh ok.... not over SIX FEET.. ok.... lol

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH what in barts farts!!

No one may set fire to another person's property without prior permission. (Seattle) good idea lol

TV's may not be bought on Sundays. (Spokane) oh my

You may not ride an ugly horse (Wilbur)-- but what if i think its pretty and you think its ugly?? lol

ohh man!! these were gooodddd!! so funny and it made me think a lil too! haha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)