Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

July the 4th Adventures

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 324 Total Views

What did you do for July 4th?

Love adventure?                Chat, Connect w/ Other Running Moms

HOME WORKOUTS          WWW.RUNNING-MOM.COM

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
marathon-mom
by Group Owner on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM

July 4th, the boyfriend was out of town and my niece who is living w/ me had to work so it was just me and E-man for the day and we were determined to have a good time.

We met my buddy Jennifer, and a new running mom I just met, in Central Park and went for a 10k (6.2 mile) run. We really kicked a$$ during the run. I don't know about the new mom, Amelia, we may have been a little slow for her. She had long legs and was pretty thin...and she just had her baby 3 months ago...she looked like a real runner...but me and Jennifer were breathing heavy the whole time thinking we might not make it to the finish line...and when we ended up running hardcore all the way through, we were pretty proud of ourselves!

After the run we went for a ride on the carousel...carrying over from me and E-man's tradition from last year...every time we went for a run in Central Park and he sat there and chilled in the jogging stroller while I ran, I took him for a ride on the carousel after...so that's what we did, Jennifer, E-man and me. E-man cried 'till the carousel started...I worried maybe he didn't like it anymore...but no he just couldn't wait for it to start moving...he laughed the whole way...uh oh my boy is getting spoiled :-\

Afterwards we went to the beach...quite a ride on the train and then the Long Island Rail Road, but E-man slept the whole way so that was a plus. It was my first time to actually hang out on the beach in the sand...usually I just go to the boardwalk...and E-man's first too, to feel the ocean on his feet. At first he backed away every time the tide came in...the water was pretty cold...but after a while he decided he liked the ocean and he wanted to jump in...then it was all I could do to hold him back...it was really too cold.

So w/ E-man wanting to jump in and me having to hold him back, the beach became not so fun (this was after a couple hours of chilling in the sand) and Jennifer and I were pretty sore from our 6 mile run and then our trek to the beach...and walking in the sand is a workout! LOL...so we decided to head to our favorite restaurant on the boardwalk...only we didn't realize it was 2 miles away...

So we're walking, Jennifer w/ her heavy backpack and beach chair, me w/ my backpack and 25-pound E-man in the carrier crying cause now he's pretty tired...and we're walking and walking and all I can think is we're gona have to walk all this way back to get to the Long Island Rail Road...

Finally we make it to the restaurant and that was the best linguini and clam sauce and crab cakes that I ever tasted in my life...matter of fact I think it was just tbe best meal...we sat there and ate knowing we deserved every bite of this delicious meal!

Walking back didn't feel as far...even though each step I didn't know if I would land on my feet or collapse and my shoulders were aching, but E-man was dozing off to sleep and I was feeling happy from the meal and the coronas...and the fireworks were shooting off from every direction!

We made it into the station just as the last door was closing...and we made it on the train...yay!

Got home around 12, walked up to the appt, went to let myself into the appt...and suddenly had a flashback to E-man playing in the sand w/ my keys...

And yup...that's where they still are...lying in the sand or in the ocean somewhere...and I just replaced them (costing me $50+) only about a wk ago...

Yup, I'm apparently leaving my keys as souvenirs of my adventures all over NYC...on the beach, in the trash by the Brooklyn Bridge, in some cab from the time I had a hangover and then had to run out the door early in the morning to make it to a race...

But it was still a lovely and memorable day...and my boy loves the beach...he just loves any adventures...yup he's definately my son...we won't have to go on the Morey show after all! ;-)

Love adventure?                Chat, Connect w/ Other Running Moms

HOME WORKOUTS          WWW.RUNNING-MOM.COM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)