Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Researching Houston

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 434 Total Views

Hi, I'm a mother of (almost 3) boys. Ages 4, 2, and newborn due in Dec. 2014. My husband has accepted a job with Chevron in Houston, TX starting next June, and I am trying to figure out as much as possible about Houston as I can before moving there.

I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this move. Currently, we live in Lawrence, KS (pretty much the best city that I have ever lived in thus far) so just the size of Houston is very intimidating to me. We visited a couple months ago, and we had to drive very long distances to get to places we wanted to explore. We've heard good things about The Heights. My husband lived there for 3 months this summer while he was interning. That is probably the farthest from downtown that we would want to live, as his office is in the heart of all those skyscrapers, and he will be biking to work. I am wondering if there is a quirky area where the crazies, hippies, chicken-raisers, garden enthusiasts live?

Kid-friendly community events:

Are there any groups that send out weekly kids calendar activites that are going on? What type of places do you all take your children to during the week to keep them busy? I'll be staying home with my kids so we like to stay pretty active in the community. Also, we like free activities like library storytimes.

Facebook groups to join:

What are your favorite Houston facebook groups? These can include mom groups, buy-sell-trade sites, free-cycle groups, places around town that are iconic and worth sharing with others.

Schools:

My 4 year old attends a cooperative (parent owned and operated) pre-school. We love it. It's cheap, classes are small, and the teaching style is relaxed and they encourage lots of play. My 2 year old will probably start at a pre-school of some sort when we move there. Anything close to that in Houston?

So, I've just started sending out feelers for information. If anyone can point me in the direction of resources that would be helpful. Thanks,

Jaylyn

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sweetdaisyv1
by Member on Sep. 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Hi my name is Vanessa i have been here for about 4 years and a half years and i love it, lived in Fort Worth all my life so realizing how big Houston is well its pretty big but u get used to it everything i need is like a block away i am in Harris county tho downtown is busy but downtown always is no matter where u go.
I hope everything works out! Good luck!
earma_79
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2015 at 11:01 PM
Born and raised.. So if u will be living in the Heights then that's close to may things on ur list.. Huge library in downtown, discovery green park in downtown, museum district, the zoo is right down the street from there. Try meet up its an app with many groups of all kinds. In no time you will forget that town you moved in from.
mrsary
by Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 2:21 AM
I like Northwest Houston. What part of Houston is the Chevron located in?
mrsary
by Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 2:22 AM
Oh, I missed in the post he will be downtown. There are park and rides in suburban Houston areas. Lots of traffic here. Lol.
adulation
by Member on Jul. 27, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Heights is nice now, I would LOVE to live there if I old only afford it.  I hope you're enjoying it.  There's a site called GISHcreative for a lot of free/cheap kid friendly events around town.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)